Student Senate meeting passes legislation to simplify White Creek transportation

“The White Creek Transportation Bill,” a bill designed to simplify access to the student counseling services and “The Student Senators of Integrity Resolution” were at the forefront of Wednesday evening’s student senate meeting. 

Student Senators passed three new bills into legislation Wednesday, along with bringing forward new legislation which addressed sexual assault prevention on campus and will provide new forms of transportation to students who receive treatment at the new White Creek student services location.

“The Subcommittee Improvement Bill,” one of the new pieces of legislation introduced by the Rules and Regulations Chair Cameron Rozean will now allow students to be members of subcommittees appointed by Student Senate. Rozean said this will now, “Allow students, not just senators to be on subcommittees.” The goal of the bill is to give students more involvement on issues where they want to have an impact. 

Senator Jasmine Wang’s, “Student Senators of Integrity Resolution” passed unanimously and is in place to let students and faculty know student leaders do not stand behind the recent actions of the two impeached Student Senators. The bill is a declaration that student senators are moving in a direction and putting the events behind them.

“The two individuals, and those individuals actions are not representative of us as a whole, we are obligated as a senate body and as representatives at Texas A&M to denounce such actions from further taking place, both within this body and on campus,” Wang said.

Other new legislation brought forward by senator Lauren Powers was the, “Sexual Assault Prevention Bill” which focuses on preventing registered sex offenders from living on college campuses in Texas and giving on campus aid to women who are sexually assaulted as soon as possible after the time of assault, Powers said. 

“We believe this is a severe issue that needs to be addressed, it needs to be lobbied for,” Powers said. “The ability to have [access] on campus, especially those that are living on campus… the access to rape kits has to be realized on campus.”

A full recording of the senate meeting can be found on the Student Senate youtube page.