Student Senate passes five resolutions Wednesday night

The Student Senate had a packed session on Wednesday, passing five resolutions and sending eight pieces of legislation to committee, which the Senate will vote on next week.
With a vote of 28-7, with nine abstentions, the Student Senate passed a resolution expressing support for legislation that is moving through the Texas House of Representatives that would ban conversion therapy for minors in the state of Texas.
The resolution defines conversion therapy as “the practice of trying to change a person’s sexuality using psychological or spiritual intervention.” The state of Texas does not currently have any law preventing conversion therapy for minors. Off-Campus Senator Zachary Huebschman presented the resolution.
“Chances are that there will be prospective and future students that come here that have experienced some form of conversion therapy,” Huebschman said. “We’re taking steps to help future Aggies. That’s part of what this body does. We work not only to help the current Aggies that are within our organization, but also the ones that we can make better experiences for in the future.”
The Student Senate passed a resolution supporting legislation that is moving through the Texas Legislature that would “require the commissioners’ court of a county with a main college campus of 10,000 students or more to have a polling location on campus.”
The Student Senate also passed a resolution highlighting Mental Health Awareness. The resolution “recognizes the importance of informing the faculty, staff, and student body about mental health resources available at the university.”
Additionally, the Student Senate passed a resolution recognizing Asian Pacific Islander Desi American, or APIDA month. Asian Pacific American month is nationally celebrated in May, but Texas A&M celebrates it during the month of April to give students the opportunity to celebrate on campus.
The resolution read, “The 71st Session of the Student Senate celebrates, recognizes, and acknowledges, the numerous accomplishments and contributions of our APIDA Aggies, past and present, for their lasting impact on Texas A&M University.”
The Student Senate also passed a resolution acknowledging Sexual Assault Awareness Month. This resolution is in line with Student Body President Amy Sharp’s “Say Howdy to Health” campaign, which has chosen April as the month to spread awareness about sexual assault and resources available to Texas A&M students.