Student Senate passes resolutions on money education course, Latinx graduation

Diversity and Inclusion Chair Adel Quntar, Student Services Chair Ashali Chimata and Senior Class President Andrea Flores present a resolution for a Latinx commencement ceremony.

The student senate wasted no time Wednesday night, passing two resolutions that aim to have a direct impact on both current and prospective students.
Academic Affairs Chair Jacob Powell introduced the first resolution, Support for Foundations of Money Education Course, which passed unanimously and called on the university to make the course a part of A&M’s core curriculum.
“By offering this course as a core class, students will now have the luxury to claim credit, and under some circumstances fit it within their degree plan,” Powell said. “Not only is this course extremely beneficial for students — it will now also aid students in receiving the credits they need for graduation.”
Following this was the passing of the Latinx Graduation Resolution, introduced by Student Services Chair Ashali Chimata, Diversity and Inclusion Chair Adel Quntar and Senior Class President Andrea Flores. This resolution calls for a Latinx graduation ceremony on May 8 at Preston Geren Auditorium beginning at 5 p.m. The purpose of this resolution is to recognize members of the Latinx community for their achievement in receiving their diploma, while also providing a familiar environment for friends and family to celebrate together with their graduates.
“The passing of this resolution shows that as a university we value multicultural student experiences and promote diversity for a population that makes up almost twenty-five percent of our student body,” Chimata said. “Texas A&M is one percent of a Mexican population away from being recognized as a Hispanic Serving Institute. Therefore it is only right that we provide recognition for such a large majority of our population.”
Alongside resolutions, several guest speakers appeared in front of the Student Senate to inform members of the Student Government Association.
The first was Vice President for Government Relations and Strategic Initiatives Michael O’Quinn, who spoke on topics of funding and the expected budget for Texas A&M over the next two years. O’Quinn explained that differences in funding to Texas’ major research universities — the University of Texas and Texas A&M — have put state legislators into a problematic situation. O’Quinn said previous funding did not account for the growth of 12,000 new students at A&M, preventing the university from receiving 23 million dollars it was planning to have for the fiscal year. However, O’Quinn said that he is optimistic that A&M will shortly see a change in this field and A&M will acquire the state funding it is entitled to.
“All I request is that the state takes into account the increase of A&M students in the past few years and grant the university the funds adequate for that increase,” O’Quinn said. “These new funds will be focused on fulfilling the needs of the student success initiative. Finances will be allocated to increase course sections and the employment of university staff. While this process is long and meticulous, I appreciate the cooperativeness of the legislators and their patience throughout this process, and am optimistic of the results we will see in the future.”
Other guest featured were candidates for Student Body President — Michael Barrera, Mikey Jaillet, Caroline Moore, Misael Jimenez, and Gregory Cross — all of whom provided a comment regarding their campaigns.
Barrera said he is a candidate who offers insight not only as a student but also as a Cadet, and he feels that this experience will allow him to advocate for all parties.
“My commitment and love for Texas A&M know no ends,” Barrera said. “With my time as a regular student, to joining the Corps of Cadets, I believe my unique perspective will aid in my ability to lead our university effectively.”
Cross said he appeals to voters by offering compassion and a servant-minded mentality that he feels will serve him well if elected.
“It has been a humbling honor to engage with students in the Aggie family and one the most incredible experiences of my life,” Cross said. “I believe my platform will aid Aggies in all walks of life, and if given the honor of Student Body President, I would work tirelessly to a better family at A&M.”
Jaillet said he draws from his past leadership role as president of the Interfraternity Council to bolster his credibility and reassure voters of his capability to serve as student body president.
“I want people to vote for me because of my character and proven track record as a leader,” Jaillet said. “From serving over 2,000 students and creating tangible improvements that can be seen by all students, I believe I can translate these results to the entire A&M body if elected as president.”
Jimenez presents himself as an outsider candidate who resonates with supporters who might feel isolated.
“I am here, I am different, and I am unafraid of who I am, and I want no Ag to feel afraid of who they are on this campus,” Jimenez said.
Moore said her policies are a primary indicator of her potential as a candidate, emphasizing her desire to uphold safety and opportunity for all students.
“My slogan is ‘cultivating a culture of success and leadership,’” Moore said. “I want to ensure that students feel welcomed while attending university, while also being gifted with the pathways to create success after graduation.”