Student Senate recognizes Black History Month, supports Aggie Recovery Community

Photo by Edith Anthony

Senator Virginia King discusses the Big Event and how you can sign up. Big Event will be held on March 30, 2019.

The Student Senate had a tame meeting Wednesday night, passing four uncontested resolutions.
Erica Pauls, college of liberal arts senator, presented a resolution recognizing Black History Month and thanking African Americans who have made significant contributions to Texas A&M. The Student Senate passed the resolution unanimously.
The Student Senate unanimously passed a resolution to add a question to the student body election ballot in February regarding university support for the Aggie Recovery Community. The question reads, “Do you think Texas A&M should offer more resources for students struggling with alcohol or drug addiction?”
John Ryan Rodriguez, off-campus caucus, presented a bill remembering Professor Emeritus Henry Clay Dethloff. He taught in the Department of History and served as department head from 1980 to 1985. He published several works, including “ A Centennial History of Texas A&M University, 1876-1976.” The Student Senate passed it unanimously.
The Student Senate also passed a resolution thanking Daniel J. Pugh Sr., the vice president for student affairs, for his work “to help shepherd a welcoming community for all Aggies.”