Student shows love for heritage through leadership, determination

Texas A&M fosters students to become something more than themselves. For one student, her journey to leadership became not only a position, but a passion in life.
Linda Zang, a junior microbiology major and history minor, is working to follow in her parent’s footsteps in the medical field.
“My parents created the T-cell vaccine, which stops the degeneration associated with multiple sclerosis,” Zang said.
One incident that guided her towards medicine was a crippled wheelchair bound man who couldn’t talk. However, a year after he was injected with the T-cell vaccination, he was able to walk and speak.
“I was in tears because with my parents’ hard work and diligence, it changed a person’s life.”
Zang wants to continue in her parents’ footsteps by attending medical school and becoming an aid to her community.
“My upbringing has taught me that medicine is a very rewarding career,” Linda said. “It helps in bettering people’s lives.”
As a student at Texas A&M, Zang shows her love for her Asian heritage and sisterhood as president of Rho Delta Chi, an Asian awareness sorority on campus.
Born and raised in Belgium, Linda moved to Sugarland at 9 years old and then jetted to Shanghai, China to an American high school for her junior year.
“I moved a lot when I was younger because of my parents’ job, but I loved it because I got to experience cultures that were so different and unique,” she said.
Wanting to stay in Texas, Zang said she chose Texas A&M over other competitive schools because she wanted the college town experience. The University, to her, encompassed not only academic excellence, but a compassionate community as well.
It was here at Texas A&M that Linda found her place as a leader to her community.
“I always wanted to be a part of something that encompasses my passion and goals in life,” she said.
This determination led her to Rho Delta Chi, the sole Asian awareness sorority at Texas A&M.
As president of the sorority, founded in 1991, Zang delegates the promotion of Asian heritage and sisterhood through informationals and volunteer efforts.
“We want to let Texas A&M know that Asian women are powerful and that we contribute to society,” she said.
With the small population of Asian women in A&M, Linda said one needs to be a strong leader and influence to the community.
“Being a minority and a woman is not a crutch,” she said, “but a blessing because I can break the stereotypical thoughts that people have of us.”
She said one of the stereotypes is all Asian women are shy and quiet. But that’s not her at all.
“I’m very open and opinionated and never give no for an answer,” she said.
Linda said Rho Delta Chi is for every woman, Asian or not and they accept every race because they want to educate others about their culture.