Student valet service could hit Northgate

Javier Cepeda (left) founded Good Bull Parking, which provides valet service around Bryan-College Station. 
Nikita Redkar

In 2013, Good Bull Parking president Javier Cepeda had been working as a valet for two years when he discovered an untapped market for valet parking in College Station. 

“Many predominant Texan cities have designated areas with valet parking, so why can’t we have it in College Station?” Cepeda said. 

Cepeda said people initially told him a valet service in College Station wouldn’t work and there was no way his business would survive. 

Yet he persevered and officially opened Good Bull Parking for business in March 2014. After one year of operations and admission into A&M’s student business accelerator, Startup Aggieland, Cepeda now plans to expand valet services into the Northgate area. 

“We know Northgate has been looking for parking management and on top of that, there’s a big problem with alcohol-related incidents,” Cepeda said. “[Good Bull Parking] has been in contact with bars in the area and we decided to add our valet service.”

Cepeda said he recognizes the liability issue of handing an intoxicated person keys to his or her car, and Good Bull Parking has been working with CSPD and Mothers Against Drunk Driving in order to better determine the intoxication level of a person and whether they are in a state to operate their vehicle.  

Cepeda said he wants students to view Good Bull Parking’s presence at Northgate as a safe zone. 

“If someone is not in a condition to drive, we’ll have their car left overnight, hand over their keys and get them a ride home with a taxi or CARPOOL,” Cepeda said. “They won’t get towed or charged extra.” 

Michael Pesek, mechanical engineering senior and Good Bull Parking employee, said all members of the business have had an integral part in determining the scope of the expansion.

“Having the opportunity to be a part of a student-run startup is more than a job,” Pesek said. “We are all playing a part in the expansion to Northgate.” 

Cepeda said he does not know exactly when the expansion will be implemented, but he and the business have been actively working with the community and Startup Aggieland to ensure the project’s success. 

“[Startup Aggieland] has spent a lot of time discussing payroll and tax issues with Javier, insurance needs, marketing initiatives and community involvement,” said Shelly Brenckman, marketing coordinator at Startup Aggieland. “We are big proponents of getting involved locally.”

Cepeda said the expansion is a way for the company to reach out to fellow students and peers.

“I think we really have a shot at making this town a little safer,” Cepeda said.