Students able to nominate VP of student affairs

Texas A&M officals are giving students, faculty and staff the opportunity to nominate candidates for the office of vice president for student affairs.
The deadline for nominations is Feb. 1, and officials expect to appoint the new vice president by June.
The position has been vacant since May 2003, when Dr. J. Malon Southerland retired after serving as vice president for student affairs for nine years and at A&M for 36 years.
Dr. William Kibler, interim vice president for student affairs, said this is a very important position to A&M and its students.
“(The vice president for student affairs) leads and directs most of the student programs on campus,” Kibler said. “They set the tone for the quality of student life, and we want all of that to continue and improve over time.”
The student affairs division oversees 12 departments including the Memorial Student Center, the Corps of Cadets, Recreational Sports and Multicultural Services.
Dr. Robert Strawser, chair of the vice president for Student Affairs Search Advisory Committee and accounting professor, said that the search is going well.
“In my opinion, this is one of the most important jobs at Texas A&M, since this individual will deal with our primary focus, our students,” Strawser said. “We need to attract the very best person to fill this position.”
The job qualifications include a doctoral degree or extraordinary experience in student affairs administration, the ability to evaluate the needs of the student body, to make recommendations to the president and have strong personal and professional integrity, Strawser said.
“The new vice president must understand and appreciate the unique role of students in governing Texas A&M,” Strawser said. “They have to also value our unique tradition-rich campus while being able to promote change within that context.”
Student Body President Matt Josefy, who serves as a student representative on the search committtee, said this position is important for the future at A&M.
“Iencourage people to let us know what the qualities they feel are important for the new vice president to have,” he said.
Josefy said the vice president plays an intricate role in guiding and supporting student leaders across campus.
Dr. David Prior, executive vice president and provost, said the new vice president does not have to be an Aggie, but he or she must have a good understanding of the Aggie culture and spirit.
“You could argue it both ways,” Prior said. “A lot of people who come to Texas A&M who are not Aggies become quite committed to the University and its unique culture.”
Prior said the salary for the new vice president is negotiable and may depend on seniority and qualifications.
Nominations and applications may be given to any search committee member and should include a letter of interest, past experience in the field and names, addresses and phone numbers of five references.
To learn more about nominating someone for vice president of student affairs, you can call contact Robert Strawser at 845-4575.