76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Students challenge Battalion performance

Student leaders criticized The Battalion during a panel discussion with Battalion editors on Wednesday, saying that A&M’s student newspaper is insensitive to racial issues and is prone to factual errors.
“(Battalion staffers) must understand the duty and responsibility you have to give a good and quality product. Quality in our eyes, not just yours,” said Lyndon Pryor, representative of the Department of Multicultural Services.
Battalion Editor in Chief Brandie Liffick said the newspaper welcomed constructive criticism and encouraged students to share their concerns about stories with editors.
Barry Hammond, president of the Memorial Student Center Council, said lack of accountability was a problem for The Battalion, and suggested the University remove all support from the newspaper to make room for another publication.
“They have a monopoly on campus,” said Hammond, a senior finance major.
Battalion Managing Editor Sommer Bunce said the staff of The Battalion always addresses mistakes in the paper.
“We try our best to make sure we are accountable,” said Bunce, a junior journalism major.
Panelists said the Student Media Board, which oversees The Battalion and is comprised of faculty, students and staff, should do more to hold the Battalion staff accountable for the content and accuracy of the paper.
The moderator of the discussion, Dr. Larry Oliver, associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts, said the forum demonstrated a need for communication between the Battalion staff and student leaders.
Resident Hall Association President John Casares said mistakes in The Battalion have been unacceptable.
“The Battalion needs to be more accurate,” said Casares, a senior management major. “A lot of times things need to be double-checked.”
Students said the Battalion staff has been unresponsive to suggestions and complaints.
One student said he made four phone calls to the Battalion that were never returned and wrote numerous letters that were not published.
“Do not assume your letters won’t get published,” said Liffick, a senior journalism major. “Don’t assume your calls won’t get returned.”
Several students attending the forum said they were unhappy with the coverage their organizations’ events had received from The Battalion.
Panelist Burke Wilson, Corps of Cadets public relations officer, said The Battalion focused too much on negative issues.
“I want to know what positive things students are doing,” said Wilson, a senior speech communications major. “There are positive things happening on campus, but they are never on the front page.”
Battalion News Editor Rolando Garcia, a senior political science major, said The Battalion’s goal was not to focus on negative issues, and focused on covering issues vital to the student body.
Battalion adviser Ron George suggested those unhappy with the newspaper apply to join the staff and fix the problems they see.
“Anyone can apply to work at The Battalion,” George said.
Liffick responded to questions on the role the paper expects its staff to serve on campus.
“We want our staff to serve you,” Liffick said. “Our main goal is to serve the student body.”
George said the Battalion staff are not students’ enemy.
“The reporters who work for The Battalion are your fellow students; they are not out to get you, ” George said.