Students commemorate the Boys & Girls Club

Texas A&M students are pitching in to celebrate the Bryan Boys & Girls Club 50th anniversary in conjunction with National Boys & Girls Club week through Friday.
Seven students from a business class have chosen to volunteer and work with the Boys & Girls club in Bryan for a class project.
“Our teacher puts us in a group of seven and we stay in the group all semester long, said Brittany Miller, a sophomore business management major. “During the semester we have to volunteer for an organization and we chose the Boys & Girls Club. The class focuses on teamwork, relationship building and learning how to interact with businesses.”
The club’s national week has been celebrated for over 75 years. The idea is to get the community involved with the Boys & Girls Club and allow them to see the impact they have on the youth.
“These kids have a lot to say. I feel like they are under utilized,” said Tim Schlosser, a sophomore business management major. “This is all these kids have. Their parents wouldn’t be home for five hours, so it is a way to keep them off streets.”
Schlosser said he respects the mission statement of the Boys & Girls Club because they give kids a chance they wouldn’t otherwise have.
This week the students from business 205 planned events for the kids through Friday, with a “When I grow up I want to be a …” theme.
Monday, the fire department made a visit to the kids and brought a fire truck, ambulance and several tools along. Tuesday was a day focused on nutrition with two Jamba Juice representatives who brought over 80 samples to share with the kids.
Wednesday, a Texas A&M a cappella group, Hardcore Dynamics, performed. Thursday, 10 women from the Texas A&M soccer team will visit the Boys & Girls Club to have relay races and play sports such as football and basketball.
Friday’s theme is “pay day” to teach the kids about money in the real world, handing out fake money as rewards for their good behavior. The students will have an ice cream social and dance party for the kids.
“We want to thank everyone who has helped us like Tiffany Parker, the representative who we have been working with. She has been very grateful and helpful,” Miller said. “Kroger has also been generous. They donated $50 to help us buy the stuff that we needed to put this together.”
Miller said that she will continue volunteering for the Boys & Girls Club after the project ends.
“The club is always open to volunteers, and anyone can volunteer afternoons between three and eight,” Miller said. “They need volunteers. The kids only pay $10 a year to be in the club, so a lot of their funding comes from donations, as well as people donating their time. We are trying to raise awareness.”
Another member of the group, Katie Reidy, said her time at the Boys & Girls Club has been well spent.
“It has been a blast,” said Reidy, a sophomore business major. “I am privileged to work at the Boys & Girls Club because they improved so much for the children, keeping them out of trouble. I love working there and I will go back after this project is over.”