Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Students discuss war

Bombs are falling on Baghdad, innocent Iraqis are huddled in fear in shelters with their loved ones in the same fashion we fall into our shelters in a tornado and I am out buying a lotto ticket. Something is missing from this war and this struggle for American victory. Sacrifice.
This is not a war I agree with, but this is a war that is part of every one of us and I can no longer affect the choice to start this war. I back my military and I pray for their lives and safe return.
Everyone in America is praying for these young men’s lives but with too many of them completely unaffected by the war. Americans have not been asked to sacrifice anything and in this whole debate I have been shocked by the fact that Congress is still trying to run through another $700 billion in tax cuts.
I hope that this does not underscore my generation. I do not want to be part of a generation that sits on the sidelines relishing their tax cut while young men, who were refused their promised pay increase due to budget shortfalls this year, are off fighting for the United States of America.
Every American should choose to sacrifice what he can during this campaign while our servicemen are out making the ultimate sacrifice. The war is upon us; we are now all citizen soldiers and must do our part.
Justin Hill
Class of 2004
The Just War theory explicitly gives reasons war can be justified: the justified nation cannot initiate the attack, it can protect an ally, and it can perform a preemptive attack.
We initiated the attack, we are not protecting an ally as we were in the Gulf War, and we honestly do not have any real evidence that Iraq was planning an attack on us. The Just War theory, along with the United Nations, does not sanction the actions of Bush because of these very reasons. In addition, George Bush Sr. carried a copy of the JWT in his pocket during the Gulf War and referred to it when justifying his actions.
However, the current Bush did not follow this age-old theory when he initiated the attack on Iraq. 9/11 has nothing to do with this war- of course it raises concerns about Sadam’s possession of WMD, but that does not justify the United States going in to overthrow his government.
Furthermore, I am tired of this blind patriotism expressed on campus- it IS possible to disagree with the government and still be patriotic for your absolute love of the country. I fully support Bush’s decision because he is our president and he made that decision through a democratic process, and I am supportive because our troops deserve our loyalty. However, I do have my reservations and believe this war is not morally justified and I will voice my opinions.
Jessica Nasser
Class of 2006