Students display international cultures as part of I Week

International student organizations will showcase their cultures as a part of International Week (I Week) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in the main hallway of the Memorial Student Center.
Nicolas Salazar, president of the Columbian Student Association, said the association’s theme for the display is coffee hacienda. A store donated Columbian coffee and the display will feature a poster of the coffee-making process.
The Columbian Student Association’s Treasurer David Toledo said I Week is a way to share cultures.
“It’s an opportunity to express our country,” he said.
The El Savador Student Association will have a beach theme for the showcase, featuring sea-shells, palm trees and a hammock. Glenda Linares, the treasurer for the association, said the theme was chosen to highlight the country’s coastal region.
“I think it’s a great opportunity for all the cultures to express themselves and teach others,” said Glenda Linares, the treasurer for the association.
The International Student Association has planned I Week, along with international student groups, MSCC Townhall, the International Student Mentor Association, Aggie Nights, Aggie Cinema, multicultural student services and other student groups.
Thomas Edmonds, president of the International Student Association, said the goal of international students on campus is to spread their cultures and customs with non-international students at Texas A&M.
An interfaith discussion will take place as part of the International Symposium from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday in the MSC. Edmonds said a rabbi will attend the discussion and topics will feature Judaism, Hinduism, Islam and Christianity.
Students and international leaders will gather for the invitational-only Consul’s General Luncheon from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday at the Bush School.
“All the diplomats of the surrounding areas will come to Texas A&M and meet the international students and have lunch with them,” Edmonds said.
Aggie Cinema will have an international screening of Pan’s Labyrinth in Spanish from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday in MSC 201.
In the past, the week’s event have included an I Buffet, showcasing foods from various countries and cultures. Edmonds said the buffet could not continue this year because of the lack of funds and support.
The closing ceremony will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. in MSC 201.
International Week kicked off Friday in Rudder Auditorium and was followed by an International Variety Show. Fifteen international organizations took the stage to showcase culture and customs and traditional dress.