Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Students give back in CAN food drive

Integrity of character is one of the many qualities of a Texas Aggie, so much so that it is represented by a point of the star on the Aggie Ring.
The Aggies CAN food drive organized by the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and the enlisted help of other student organizations gives students at Texas A&M a chance to show their integrity of character by donating to those in need in Bryan-College Station.
We heard from students at Missouri and Arkansas that they have an on-campus food bank, said Mark Womack, executive vice president of Student Government Association and international affairs graduate student. A school that prides itself on integrity and a community of excellence and camaraderie like we do could have one as well.
Beginning with the volleyball game Friday, students will have the opportunity to donate canned food to support the Brazos Valley Food Bank.
Janell Sack, president of the SAAC, said this food drive has donated more than $80,000 worth of food and more than 20,000 pounds of cans to the Brazos food bank during the last 12 years.
Our goal this year is $50,000 and 10,000 pounds of cans, Sack said.
Students are encouraged to bring canned food items to any of the four donation stations throughout the weekend at Reed Arena, Ellis Soccer Field and Kyle Field during Midnight Yell and Saturdays game.
Many other groups on campus including SGA, Class Councils and the Corps of Cadets are competing to individually raise the most cans, all benefiting Aggies CAN and the Brazos Valley Food Bank.
Drew Alders, media relations coordinator for the Corps and junior agricultural economics major, said the competition was friendly and for a common good.
Obviously its a competition, Alders said. But its a great way to have us also compete to unite behind one goal, which is providing a food bank for the area.
Donations will be collected at the following locations and times: Friday, 6 p.m. Reed Arena; Friday, 7 p.m. Ellis Soccer Field; Midnight Yell, Kyle Field; Saturday, 11 a.m. Kyle Field.