Students prepare for spring break planning, stress affordability

Four weeks. Thats how much school is left until the first official day of spring break, March 11.
Though some may not be counting down the days, college students aware of the week-long break from school that takes place in mid-March. Excitement and planning for this week off has already begun for some students.
Many stages of planning go into finding a destination and the cost efficient ways to get there.
Tiffany Wong, senior recreation, park and tourism sciences major; Sarah Strayhorn, senior allied health major; and Alyssa Wilson, junior communications major, are excited about the upcoming spring break trip they are planning this year.
We are going to Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and a quick day trip to Wyoming, Wong said. Then [we are going] back through New Mexico before we get back home to Texas.
As is the case with most students, frugality is necessary.
It is budget-friendly, Wilson said. We are going to pack snacks and eat off the dollar menu simple as that.
Strayhorn said they know friends in Colorado, which is where they will be spending most of their time, but because long road trips add up in gas costs, carpooling is a popular method of transportation.
My mom has a Prius that she is lending us, Wong said. Plus, it has an Aggie Mom sticker, so we will be proudly representing on our trek across the U.S.
The group plans to hike mountains, visit beautiful scenic areas, sight-see and just enjoy a responsibility-free week.
Since I am a senior, it is the last time to really do a trip while I dont have responsibilities, Strayhorn said. In the real working world, you dont get spring break off.
The group plans to stop in Austin for the popular music festival, South by Southwest, at the tail end of their trip. Wong said they wanted to catch all the free shows that they could.
Fraternities and sororities often plan large trips together every year and an immense amount of time goes into organizing such a large-scale trip.
Abby White, senior kinesiology major and member of the Pi Phi sorority, said sorority girls will rent houses out at different beaches, like Gulf Shores, Ala.
Well all drive out to the beach together, White said. There is also an Aggie Greek service trip with other sororities and fraternities. Both types of trips build relationships over the course of a week and are so much fun.
White said the planning process includes coordinating who can drive, the renting of the beach house and planning entertainment.
A lot of time is spent on the beach, whether its cold or not, White said, We all go out to dinner as a group too.
Many college students scramble to plan their spring break. For these students, the Outdoor Adventures through the Student Recreational Center offers its own spring break options.
Tyler Edwards, senior recreation, park and tourism sciences major and manager of Outdoor Adventures, has been leading trips for the past two years.
We take a skiing and snowboarding trip to Wolf Creek, Colo., Edwards said. For students, it costs $749 and that pretty much includes everything transportation, food, lodging and lift tickets. Its a great trip to escape the Texas heat.