Students, resident reflect on connections made through Big Event

IMG_9928.jpg
Photo by KMG
IMG_9928.jpg

Big Event is one of the largest student-run service projects in the nation, so it may seem difficult to truly connect with others through the event. However, some participants say it has led them to close friendships in the Bryan-College Station community.

The Big Event, which invites students to say “thank you” to the community by volunteering to do yard and house work at people’s homes, will be held on Saturday and host over 20,000 volunteers. Big Event is a day of service and giving back to the community, but it’s also a chance for the residents of College Station to build relationships with the student population.
Morgan Bell, university studies senior and Big Event finance director, said organizing Big Event can be extremely busy but worthwhile.
“Just kind of watching our organization come together has been awesome, and just getting to talk to students around campus about how excited they are to serve has truly been incredible,” Bell said.
College Station resident Brenda Sims has been involved with Big Event since it began in 1982. Sims said she and her neighbors would team up to invite Big Event volunteers into their homes to help with simple tasks that they could not complete themselves, such as raking leaves, washing windows, painting, or pulling weeds.
“They gave me hope, the ones who are volunteering, because they’re reaching out to the locals, which I’m a local and I’m a senior,” Sims said. “And it’s not just to the people who need help. They’re available to help me with things like changing the filter in my air conditioner, and so it’s little things that just add up.”
Jacob Carroll, business senior and Big Event outreach executive, said he recognized that Sims made efforts to connect with the Aggie community through Big Event.
“Brenda is one of those residents over the year who have participated in the Big Event in more ways than just having volunteers come out,” Carroll said. “She really sees the value that Big Event has beyond the physical labor that happens.”
Sims said she has gotten close enough to be considered family to many of the volunteers that participated in past Big Events.
“I have followed some of them through their college careers, in fact I’m going to Aggie Ring Day with about five of them that are getting their rings,” Sims said. “So what that Ring Day does for me is I get to meet all the families, because while they are here I’m like a grandmother and then I get to meet the real relatives.”
Sims said Big Event leaves a lasting impact on the students and the community.
“To know that students are going out into the world, with their Aggie Rings and with Big Event on their resume . . . that just warms my heart,” Sims said.