Students seek compromise on ‘Neighborhood Integrity’

Thursday at 3 p.m. at the city hall of College Station on Texas Avenue, the city council will discuss the proposed “Neighborhood Integrity” comprehensive strategy. For the past 18 months after the initial reference to a “two unrelated” ordinance, Student Government has worked hand-in-hand with city management and staff to develop alternative “win-win” solutions. Through a year-long collaborative effort, we believe that we have done just that. In cooperation with Neighborhood Services and the communication department of College Station, we have developed College Station: 101, a program to educate students on the intricate details of living in College Station. We have engaged the City Managers Office, Neighborhood Services Office, the Honorable Ben White, the College Station Police department, the Municipal Court, the CS Fire Department and Code Enforcement, the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of the President in creating what we believe to be an incredible step forward to neighborhood integrity: a document titled “Living Among Aggies.” This document details an all-inclusive approach by all of the aforementioned parties to involve the University and the city together in working with students to become better neighbors.
However, there are still some residents of College Station who believe that the housing ordinance is the only way to go. If you can make the time, simply show up at city hall to give city council the student presence that we have been so adamantly telling them about. Let’s stand together at 3 p.m. Thursday.
Conner ProchaskaStudent Body President