Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of Aggie Replant pick up trash at Aggie Park on Feb. 5, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Mayra Puga)
Aggies come together to promote sustainability
Ayena Kaleemullah, Life & Arts Writer • April 22, 2024

As Earth Day arrives in Aggieland, talks about environmental action are growing. From planting trees to creating an impactful sustainable lifestyle,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Students vote down fee increases

In a record turnout for voting referendums, students voted down all three proposed referendum fee increases Wednesday and Thursday.
Out of 6,116 voters, 69 percent voted to not increase the Recreation Sports fee referendum; 79 percent voted no for the Student Service fee referendum; and 50 percent said no to the computer access fee referendum.
The Recreation Sports fee referendum would have increased Rec Sports fees from $78 to $88 to cover the cost of operation departmental programs and facilities as well as expand the weight room.
The fee referendum would have raised the Student Service fee $0.71 to a total of $12.57 per credit hour per student for the first 12 credit hours each semester.
The computer access fee referendum would have raised computer access/instructional technology fees either $1.25 or $3.25 per credit hour. The money would have been used to expand bandwith and wireless network access at different campus locations.
Erin Eckhart, the election commissioner, said the voting process was very smooth.
“We were very happy with the turnout,” she said.
Even though the votes were counted by the same system that calculated the results of the freshman class president elections, a new program was written specifically for this election to ensure accuracy, Eckhart said.
Thomas Pack, a junior sports management major, was disappointed when he heard the results of the voting.
“I think the benefits of increasing fees outweigh the costs,” he said.
In 1987, students voted to build the Student Recreational Center at a higher cost than $10 per student.
Other students, such as senior psychology major Karlen Moore, said that students are already on fixed budgets, and raising fees to attend Texas A&M would place a financial burden on many students.
“I don’t agree with raising fees unless A&M is considering offering additional financial aid and services (to those who need it),” Moore said.
Moore said the only way students on financial aid can receive more money from A&M is if their expected family contribution decreases.