Students weigh in on second GOP debate

The second GOP debate took place Wednesday evening. While the overall format was similar to the first debate, the breadth of issues addressed by the candidates and the depth to which they were discussed was substantially greater.

As could be expected after radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt advised the candidates to brush up on foreign policy prior to the debate, a substantial amount of the time was spent addressing national security, defense and the role the United States should play around the world. Domestic issues were not left by the wayside — all the candidates spoke to how they would strengthen the economy, take a tough stand against funding Planned Parenthood and ‘fix’ the immigration system.

Madeline Schulz, business management senior, said the debates proved substantive in getting information to people.

“I think that anything that delivers information to people helps in some way,” Schulz said. “I think it’s better than a completely uninformed voter base. I think it’s a pretty good, helpful thing.”

Matthew Ramirez, engineering freshman, said watching the debates was a good way to gather information for when and if you vote.

“It definitely does get the information out there,” Ramirez said. “And helps you to get a more educated decision when and if you vote.”

Ramirez said he also watched the first GOP debate, and he’ll need to keep watching to decide how he is going to vote.

“I can’t really define myself, because I’ve never ever been into politics until just recently … And even then I’m not really too gung-ho about it,” Ramirez said. “I kind of have to see how the debate goes, watch the Democrats and the Republicans, and then make a decision when the time comes.”

Karl Morales, chemical engineering senior, said this debate series was much more substantive in his opinion.

“Personally I thought this one was much better than the last one, just because it was much more of a debate between the candidates,” Morales said. “In this one the candidates would be like, ‘Well why do you think this? Why do you think this will actually work?’ and they’d have to defend themselves.”

Morales said in the end, it’s going to come down to one basic issue — the economy.

“All that really matters in the end are the jobs and the taxes,” Morales said. “In the end no one cares about what religion your neighbor is or what their sexual orientation is if they can’t provide for their family.”