Studies in sound

Its as if he was born with music flowing through his veins. With a heavy influence of music from his family, Caleb Mak, senior supply chain management major, has developed into a striving musician with a sound of his own.
Mak is an emerging face in the world of music. He is set to graduate in December and will have the opportunity to continue the music success hes experienced as a student.
Ive been influenced by so much growing up because my dad was really into soul and country and random stuff, Mak said. The groups at my high school were all metal heads and rock music, and I was influenced by my best friends listening to hip-hop and rap. I just wanted to put that all in one.
Mak released his first album, LOVE: Life of Virtuous Ecstasy, nearly four years ago, and since then many major music labels have expressed interest in signing him.
That happened when I graduated high school and during my freshman year at A&M, Mak said. I was getting a lot of calls from Sony, Universal, Motown, Columbia and Epic huge labels.
They even wanted to use Mak as the opening act for other well-known artists such as Chiddy Bang, Three 6 Mafia, Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean and Lupe Fiasco.
Despite all of the interest for record deals from music moguls, Mak held out on signing.
I wanted to develop myself musically, Mak said. Back then they wanted me to be a pop singer, and I wouldve done anything. But now when I talk to people from Universal they say Well give you all of the creative control.
Mak also wanted to enjoy his time in college.
I was just getting into the college experience, Mak said. I didnt want to quit it. All my friends were in college and I wanted to get my education.
But now that Mak is graduating, he will have a chance to devote himself full time to making music.
I still have good contacts with everybody, Mak said. So if I get that kind of contract now Ill know what to do. Im a lot older, I know whats in the industry now.
If simply earning a college degree isnt enough of an accomplishment, Mak will be leaving A&M with a 3.5 GPA. He discovered the secret to success in balancing school with making music.
Theres sometimes a clash between having to do musical stuff and then supply chain management, Mak said. Theyre completely different. But if youre really passionate about what you do then youll find time to do it.
Mak has persevered through difficult workloads from school and music and wants to show people its possible to continue do to what they love, regardless of other responsibilities they have.
I really want to inspire people to do it because a lot of people quit doing music after high school, Mak said. They quit doing music because they get stressed. If you really love it and youre not just doing it for money and fame then youre going to keep doing it. Youll find a way to make it happen.
In order to inspire and restore faith in A&Ms musically inclined students, Mak brought an organization called Grammy U to campus.
Grammy U, a subsidiary of the Grammy Awards, is for students who have dreams of working in the music industry. It gives them an outlet to meet and network with people in the music industry.
When you think of A&M you dont think of it artistically at all, Mak said. Theres no art school here, theres nothing like that. There are a lot of kids here who are musically inclined who dont want to do country. I really wanted to help students here network with people in the music industry, and Grammy U is an organization that actually lets you do that.
Students who have worked with Mak said he is making a difference in the music scene on campus.
He can be really inspiring to people who are threatened by pursing a music career in school, said Jacob Reese, sophomore food science major. He shows that you can be very successful in school and very successful in music.
Jillian Harris, Class of 2011, worked with Mak in creating the Art, Music and Poetry Society at A&M.
Hes a hard worker and very talented at music, Harris said. Hes very inspirational, and he loves what he does. You can tell just in the way he presents himself.
Harris can also attest to the impact Mak has on the audience when he performs at shows.
When he plays shows its completely different from all these other artists because he loves the fans and he loves getting them involved, Harris said. He loves to see people energized by his music and being moved by his music.
Mak tries to create his music for people to relate to and have fun listening to. The songs hes created encompass a variety of sounds for many people to enjoy.
If youre not into hip-hop, he has an amazing voice, Harris said. He has acoustic music, and he really hits a bunch of demographics, which is really cool too because a lot of artists stick with one genre. He hits so many different ones, which is interesting and marketable for him.
Mak said he was inspired by three artists who he tried to mold together to create his own sound Daft Punk, Kanye West and John Mayer but credits Texas A&M for making him into the person he is today.
This school definitely changes you, Mak said. I dont think I would have gotten the sense of family from any other school. The students support other Aggies. Ive gotten cheers at shows just on the sole fact that Im an Aggie.
For those who have yet to attend one of Maks shows and for those who have already seen him perform and still have lyrics stuck in their heads, there is an opportunity to see Mak in his last performance as a student.
Mak will be playing a show titled the End of the World Party at the Grand Stafford Theater in Bryan on Dec. 12 at 8 p.m.
Its a free concert, Mak said. Im not trying to make any money off of this. Its just for the people that inspire me at this school and have been friends with me and have supported me. Its going to be the best show Ive ever had.