Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Suddenlink to reveal Internet advancements

Suddenlink
Cody Franklin
Suddenlink

Representatives from Suddenlink, Bryan and College Station will hold a news conference Thursday at the Memorial Student Center to make a major announcement concerning Internet service advancements in the Brazos Valley area.

Burl Haigwood, director of operations and public affairs at the B-CS Chamber of Commerce, said the B-CS community will be the first to receive one Gigabit per second download speeds.

“Communication for any city and any local economy is great,” Haigwood said. “So having Suddenlink give a one Giga[bit] per second download speed makes our area the first Suddenlink served community in Texas to achieve this service.”

Haigwood said this advancement means economic benefits for Brazos Valley.

“The fact that we’re getting high speed communication is critical,” Haigwood said. “The fact that we’re the first in Texas to get this service says something about our economy and having that to attract other businesses and investments here.” 

Suddenlink representatives denied comment about any specifics about the announcement prior to Thursday’s news conference.

Skip Ogle, director of community relations at Suddenlink, said the announcement will relate to a major leap forward in Internet service in the B-CS area.

“These communities will be the first Suddenlink served areas in Texas to receive the new service,” Ogle said. “We’re excited that a number of officials from around the area will be joining us for the announcement and discussing what it means for the area’s economic development going forward.” 

Those expected to attend the event include councilmembers from College Station and Bryan, representatives from the Bryan-College Station Chamber of Commerce, Suddenlink’s Southwest Region Senior Vice President of Operations and the President and CEO of the Research Valley Partnership.

Other notable individuals expected to attend are State Representative John Raney and Gina Flores, wife of Congressman Bill Flores.  

The news conference will be held at 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Room 2404 of the MSC.