Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Sul Ross statue vandalized overnight

Provided

The statue of Lawrence Sullivan Ross was defaced overnight with graffiti. By mid-morning the statue was covered by employees with a tarp.

UPDATE: According to KBTX, the Texas A&M Police Department investigators said surveillance video shows what appears to be a white male wearing black clothes and a mask damaging the statue on June 10 at 3:18 a.m. Officials said based on the video, he is the only suspect

The statue of Lawrence Sullivan Ross in Academic Plaza was vandalized with graffiti on June 10 and has since been covered in a white tarp by A&M employees.
A rainbow-colored wig, red paint on the face and body, the word “racist” and the acronyms “BLM” and “ACAB” were pictured on the statue of Ross and quickly spread on social media.
“We became aware of the incident this morning and have immediately begun to engage experts to assess damage to the statue. We ask our Aggie community for peaceful discourse,” A&M President Michael Young said in a statement about the incident.
This vandalism comes after two, week-long petitions, one to remove and one to keep the statue, both garnered thousands of signatures. 
Sullivan Ross was a Confederate general, served as President of A&M and was the nineteenth governor of Texas.
This is a developing story and will be updated with the most recent information as it becomes available.