A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Tanks running through campus a sign of security

In response to a March 4 mail call:
It’s 3:10 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, and I am working in one of the many labs I administer. Before proceeding to the next task of the day, several of my student technicians catch my eye. They waved a copy of Tuesday’s Battalion mail call section before me. Knowing me as a straight shooting, ex-military, conservative old Ag, they knew I need to see Mr. Taqvi’s letter.
I agree there is no profound or poetic way to respond to tanks and artillery pieces being transported down the College Station tracks. There are several practical ways to respond. Perhaps the first that comes to mind is that they came from Ft. Hood headed to the Port of Houston via the most economical and straightforward method.
Curiously though, it makes sense. You must have been sleeping off the day instead of attending class, since you missed all the previous shipments of military vehicles during the day. When I see tanks being transported I feel pride, honor and I sleep a lot better knowing that we have the big stick.
We can stand up to tyranny and oppression. We can stomp a mudhole in some tinhorn terrorist state and the psychopathic dictator that runs it. And we can feed the poor, heal the sick and aid the impoverished, because we have the big stick. Too bad they didn’t have “I fight so you may keep your precious rights” scrawled on their sides.
Millions and millions before me have said much more eloquently and diplomatically what I wish to express, but if reading a letter like Mr. Taqvi’s isn’t enough to piss you off, I am not sure what is. I am not a cynic, a left wing satirical socialist or a bed wetting, tree hugging peace activist.
I too fear the tanks, but not for me and you; I fear for the screaming Iraqi soldiers running from them. Let’s hope they all have large white flags ready to be unfurled.
Your letter, Mr. Taqvi, has affected me, it has fired me up. I will no longer stand idle and allow feeble attempts at cynicism to go unchallenged. Remember Sept 11? How about World War II? Kosovo? Bosnia? Instead of Black Arm Bands how about good old red, white and blue!!!
Jim Wilson
Class of 1994