Tennis team fights off TCU

The Texas A&M women’s tennis team wrapped up its six-match home stand Tuesday with a 4-3 victory against Texas Christian University. With the confidence of a lengthy win streak at home under its belt, A&M Head Coach Bobby Kleinecke said his team is ready to hit the rest of the season with full force.
“Now we need to make a push,” Kleinecke said. “This match gives us an opportunity to do that, to move up and make a statement nationwide that we are a team to watch out for.”
It took all they had, though, to close out the Lady Horn Frogs before embarking on a three game road trip. The Aggies went into singles play by securing the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, which put the pressure on TCU.
After being named co-player of the week, A&M freshman Nicki Mechem came out swinging. Mechem was the first Aggie netter to put A&M on the board at No. 5 singles by making quick work of TCU’s Ivonne Andrade 6-1, 6-3.
After going down 2-0 in the match, TCU battled back with two consecutive victories to level the playing field by deadlocking the