Texas A&M current and former students attend Republican National Convention as delegates

While most students are sitting through their first week of classes, others are making connections and establishing platforms at the Republican National Convention.
Jess Fields, class of 2010, serves as the first delegate in Congressional District 17. Senior education major Ryan Davenport, who served as SGA Vice President last year, is an alternate delegate for the state of Texas. Jared Sexton, class of 2011, who was recognized as member of the year in SGA, is his allotted guest.
Four years ago I watched the Republican National Convention and I said, you know what, in four years Id like to do that, Davenport said.
Both Fields and Davenports journey to Tampa, Fla. began in Brazos County, where they participated in local elections. Fields is currently serving as a College Station city councilman. Fields and Davenport then went on to run for delegate at the Texas state convention, and earned positions that got them tickets to Tampa, Fla.
Sexton said many of the logistical details of the event, such as nominating a presidential candidate, were taken care of before the convention.
At this point, national conventions are really just a celebration and getting together to unite the party, Sexton said.
The men are able to experience all that the convention has to offer. As a state delegate, Fields will be influencing the platform to favor Texas interests. He will be voting on issues such as party platform, rules and nomination for the president and vice president of the Republican Party.
This is an experience that will allow me to have some small measure of influence within the Republican Party, which I believe is the only party which can restore our constitution and the founding principles of the country, Fields said.
They will be attending meet-and-greets hosted by officials, as well as parties thrown by major corporations. Sexton said he was most looking forward to the extravagant parties that will have great food, an open bar and entertainment.
For the young men, this is the experience of a lifetime. They are some of the youngest members of the convention, and are influencing a platform that could change the direction of our nation.
Its an honor that people older and wiser than me gave me the opportunity to be here, Davenport said. Its not everyday that people get to meet their heroes.
Fields, Davenport and Sexton each said they see a value in being involved in local politics and plan to use the connections they make during this week to further their careers.
Aggies who do not plan to attend the convention can take advantage of the technology featured online. The Republican convention without walls makes the event accessible to people around the country through social media, live chats, apps and live video streaming.