Texas A&M hosts 9th annual Acappellooza

Photo by Leah Kappayil

Junior business major, Akshara Parashar, performed her rendition of “Duaa”, a Hindi song, during Swaram A Cappella’s showcase on Saturday evening.

Nine A cappella groups from across Texas came together at Rudder Auditorium Saturday to showcase a variety of A cappella performances, each with their own unique sound.
This year, the lineup included groups from Rice, SMU, Texas State, UT, U of H and four groups from A&M. Each group performed a set composed of three songs, with genres including pop, country, R&B, hip-hop and more.
Ben Ikwuagwu, supply chain junior, member of HardChord Dynamix and co-host of Acappellooza said the event lived up to his expectations.
“I think it was amazing. This is probably the best Acappellooza we’ve had in my two and half years of experience,” Ikwuagwu said. “I think all the groups were amazing tonight.”
Texas A&M’s all-female A cappella group, the Femmatas, impressed the audience with their unique sound. Cassie Brawner, education junior, president of the Femmatas and co-host of Acappellooza, said she was proud of the performance they put on.
“I thought it was really great,” Brawner said. “I know speaking for the Femmatas we’ve worked so hard, this is the first year we’ve implemented choreography into our set list and I’m really proud of the girls it turned out really great.”
Nathan DeVera, president of SMU’s Southern Gentlemen said the event exceeded his expectations for an A cappella showcase.
“I thought it was phenomenal. I’ve never attended an A cappella event like this, and this one kind of blew it out of the water for me for my first time,” DeVera said. “It was phenomenal being here, I think it was great for us, it was great for the other groups and we’re really excited to be here for next year.”
Richmond Dewan, member of SMU’s Southern Gentlemen said they wanted to incorporate inclusiveness into their performance.
“The idea for our set kinda came from, we picked two of our legacy songs and then one a kind of a recent song. The idea was these songs we thought would be different maybe than what other A cappella groups would do,” Dewan said. “Maybe something a little bit older, something a little bit newer, and something you know very classic, and just make it into a cool performance that no matter who’s here someone would find something from.”