Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Texas A&M to give out more than 10,000 degrees

Academic Building
Photo by File
Academic Building

Texas A&M University will present 10,074 degrees in undergraduate, graduate and professional programs at 14 commencement ceremonies expanding from Texas campuses to the branch in Doha, Qatar in coming weeks.
According to Nancy Sawtelle, director of Public Relations in the Office of the Provost, 90 percent or more of Texas A&M graduates will walk the stage. The first graduation ceremony will be held on May 10 and the last on May 27, with other dates in range between. Additionally, on May 12, approximately 112 members of the Corps of Cadets will be commissioned, the highest number of commissions since 1984 including Texas A&M Galveston.
Sawtelle said in comparison to the August and December graduation ceremonies, May is undoubtedly the largest in number.
“The May commencement is definitely the largest. I believe the number of ceremonies is an indicative comparison,” Sawtelle said. “The number of College Station-based ceremonies is seven for May compared to usually three or four in December and two or three in August.”
According to a media release from Sawtelle, the number of degrees being awarded this month will surpass previous semesters at A&M as well as the other universities throughout the state of Texas.
“Supported by growing enrollments, student success initiatives and timely graduation incentives, this May’s ceremonies will feature the highest number of bachelor’s degrees (7,273), master’s degrees (1,903), professional degrees (558) and doctoral degrees (339) for any one semester in the university’s — as well as the state of Texas’ — history,” Sawtelle said.
Member of the Corps of Cadets and political science senior Adam Knutson will graduate this Thursday with a U.S. Air Force commission as an Intelligence Officer. He said he will miss the traditions and the comradery, and will carry the values he’s cultivated in the Corps to the next stage in life.
“Definitely how to work under hard environments, how to adapt to things, and how to really work well with a team,” Knutson said. “You learn how to overcome trials, and it really helps you prepare for things in the future too.”
After her graduation next week, interdisciplinary studies senior Hannah Willard’s plans consist of teaching fourth grade at Wallace Elementary in Dallas. Willard said she will especially miss the relationships she has made during her time at A&M.
“I’m going to miss the people and the traditions because those kind of go hand in hand, I feel like part of the traditions is that it’s such a family and everyone’s rooting for each other,” Willard said. “I think that’s what I’m going to miss the most- all the traditions, the comradery, but also, the people that I’ve met and the friendships that I’ve made.”
Regarding current students, Willard encouraged them to treasure their remaining time at the university.
“This is kind of cliché, but time really does fly by, so not letting it escape from you and really making the most of the time you have here,” Willard said. “Getting involved is how I made a lot of lasting friendships and made my experience at A&M so much better.”
While in the moment, university level school work can seem difficult, but nursing senior Elizabeth Stark charged students to not give up. Because of her time spent at the Health Science Center, she said feels prepared for her new job at the hospital and ready to take ownership of what she’s learned.
“In nursing, there are so many stressful and hard times that are going to come up in the hospital,” Stark said. “But then, there’s that one patient, or that one family, or employee that you work with that makes everything worth it.”
Stark said when given an opportunity, never let it slip through your fingers.
“I learned a lot about taking opportunities when they’re given to you because you’re always going to learn something,” Stark said. “If you take it, you always learn something. You can look back and be proud of yourself that you took on something that seemed daunting.”
Soak in each moment and embrace your years at A&M, Willard said.
“I just love A&M, I think it’s a really unique place. There’s definitely no other public school in the United States like it,” Willard said. “It’s a very amazing place to be a part of, so I’m very proud to be an Aggie and I think it’s something that we should all cherish.”
The university’s College Station commencement ceremonies will be broadcasted on KAMU-TV May 11 to 13.