Texas A&M women’s equestrian team defends title

The four-time National Champion womens equestrian team returns to practice with excitement for the upcoming season. With Texas A&M moving to the SEC, they are preparing for what the season has in store for them.
Texas A&M head equestrian coach Tana Mckay starts her fourteenth season as head coach. She is the only head coach in the programs history and has seen a few of her athletes go on to collegiate coaching jobs in the sport. This upcoming season Mckay said the team definitely has what it takes to compete against the other SEC schools.
We have seen SEC schools at nationals every year, Coach Mckay said. The overall champion has come down to SEC schools and us over the past few years, so we have a lot of talent on our team.
During the summer, sophomore equitation/over fences rider Haley Buckmiller got her twentieth United States Equestrian Team win. Buckmiller said she was glad to see her hard work pay off and is excited about this upcoming season as well.
It was difficult but fun to get the twentieth win, Buckmiller said. Four years of hard work definitely paid off. This year I think it will be very exciting to compete against Auburn, Georgia and South Carolina more often rather than just as nationals. Thats what Im most excited about.
Also during the summer, senior equitation/over fences rider Emily Williams won the Maryland Horse Show Association Adult Medal Finals for the second year in a row. Williams said this year will be very competitive since moving to the SEC.
The SEC schools are very competitive, Williams said, Its going to be a positive challenge and Im really excited to spend my last year with these girls. We have really great talent here.
The Aggies will be traveling to numerous states this season but will still host almost half of the competitions at home. The team is anticipating a tougher season than past seasons for the reigningThis season will be tougher than past seasons for the reigning national champions but they will continue to prove themselves throughout the upcoming season.
The Aggies will have a Maroon & White scrimmage September 15th at 10:00 am at the Brazos County Expo Complex.