Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Texas artist delivers fresh sound

Trent Willmon’s self-titled album came out less than a month ago and is already a topic of conversation among country music aficionados. He was raised a “good old boy” in the Texas Hill Country, and his upbringing shines through in his songs. The album has 11 tracks, and each one offers a balance of upbeat rhythms and slow bittersweet remembrances of the past.
The two featured songs are “Beer Man” and “Dixie Rose Deluxe’s Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat.” Both of the buoyant tracks get feet tapping and people up and dancing. (Sample lyrics: “I just remembered I needed a dozen eggs and an ’87 Cadillac” from “Dixie Rose Deluxe’s.”)
“She Don’t Love Me” is another upbeat song that will become a favorite among listeners. Talking about a past love that Willmon meets on the street, the song is full of humor and will hit home for many. “Not only she don’t love me anymore/ She don’t hate me anymore” is the chorus line, and leads to a laughable ending of the song. “All Day Long” is another entertaining track about a girlfriend packing up her things and driving away, but she is in the middle of nowhere, where the road goes on forever and the boyfriend has to watch her leave all day long.
It is difficult to find many country songs that are good for waltzing, but “Medina Daydreaming” is a beautiful example. Talking about the hill country town Medina, the melody flows in a melancholy way with lines such as “I should stop reminiscing/ But I catch myself drifting/ Medina daydreamin’ again.”
Trent Willmon’s music follows along the same lines as Pat Green and Kevin Fowler and will appeal to fans of Texas country music. With tongue-in-cheek lyrics and catchy tunes, Willmon may likely find his way into country music lovers’ CD players everywhere.may likely find its way into . It doesn’t hurt, of course, that it’s always fun to hear a fellow Texan sing about his experiences.