Texas A&M’s Forest Service responds to Bastrop fires

Texas A&M’s Forest Service is among the emergency organizations currently fighting the fire in Bastrop that has consumed 1,512 acres at time of press.
The first representatives from the A&M Forest Service arrived on the scene at Hidden Pines Tuesday around 1 p.m., said Jessica Jackson, communications specialist for the A&M Forest Service.
“When volunteer fire response teams show up, we don’t show up until after they have exhausted all of their resources and done all they can do,” Jackson said.
Jackson said as of Wednesday, 14 Forest Service personnel are working with other emergency response teams on extinguishing the fire. She said the Forest Service team is working with two Dozers, four single-engine planes, one fixed-wing aircraft, two Black Hawks and two fire engines.
According to an article by KXAN, Wednesday’s low humidity and record-breaking 95 degree heat in the area has made work difficult for the firefighting crews. However Wednesday’s low wind speed made it easier to combat the fires.
Several homes in the area have been evacuated. The Smithville Recreational Center has opened its doors for evacuees, and the Bastrop County Animal Shelter is allowing the evacuees to drop off pets and small animals as they evacuate the area.