Texas District 14 candidates give answers

Q: What would you like the students to know?
John Raney (R): My words to the student body would be that we have a terrible budget right now and that it needs to be fixed to where we use the budget wisely. I believe that we need to have an economy that will allow employers to hire more workers. I say for government to get out and stay away. Once that happens, just let the imagination go.
Bob Yancy (R): I am worried about my children as well as all young Aggie’s futures. I’m running because I know I can make a difference and I hope Aggies can give me the responsibility. If they do, I will not let them down.
Joshua Baker (L): I am the voice of this generation in this race. It’s time for a changing of the guard before it gets worse. This is our time, our time to do action, even if it’s just to vote, it is still action. I would go to Austin with that Aggie Spirit, a no-nonsense, let’s get things done mentality. It’s time.
Judy LeUnes (D): I will always stand and fight for the students. Education will always be my first priority. I want the students to receive the same valued education that I got because I worry that employers with higher paying jobs will take their companies to other states due.
Rebecca Boenigk (R): We are going to win based on two things. First that the community knows that I will get the job done and second, that the students of A&M will help us win. I’m a hard worker who wants to bring action, not be just another representative sitting in a chair.
Q: What sets you apart from the rest of your competitors?
Joshua Baker (L): I’m not part of party politics. Parties seem to put their platform over the people’s platform, and that’s wrong. I like to have an open mind when it comes to legislation. That’s why things don’t get accomplished. Parties get to a stalemate and they cannot communicate.
Judy LeUnes (D): I am the only educator running in this race and I am also the only Democrat running. My former students all wanted me to run so I did. Then from there I was also asked by the Democratic Party to run and I agreed. I am a veteran teacher so I understand what the students need. I also know how to interact with business people, and what can I say, I’m obsessed with education. Teachers currently are demoralized and I believe that there needs to be someone to help pick them up.
Rebecca Boenigk (R): I am a very hard worker. I am determined to get things done here for District 14. I’m an Aggie mom. I get the spirit and the passion that lives in our community. I love this community and I will fight for it. I know how to get the job done.
John Raney (R): My integrity is a very high priority, I want to go to Austin and be the same man there as when I left. I have experience working on legislative issues. I have a set of principles: Is the legislative piece constitutional? Is it reasonable for government to do this? Finally, is it a traditional governmental role?
Bob Yancy (R): I‘m a real Aggie. I am one of the only Ronald Reagan conservatives running, both fiscally and conservative. I have real-world experience in reducing costs and getting rid of inefficiencies in a broken system and right now our government is broken.
Q: What is your take on the economy, and how would you create a positive business climate?
Bob Yancy (R): Government simply needs to get out of the way. We need to reduce costs and inefficiency. Texans are innovative. If government can get out, the innovations from people will create jobs. We don’t need any more red tape in business.
Joshua Baker (L): There needs to be tax cuts for businesses and have government get out of businesses and education. We live in a consumer-driven economy, the consumer will know what to do with their dollar instead of the government. We need more local decisions to come from local governments. The reason for that is that all counties are different. We cannot have a one-size-fits-all kind of government.
Judy LeUnes (D): I know education is important to the community. I would like to implement a reward system where if students stay here for their higher education, there can be a system in place to lower student loans — it would give students an incentive to stay. I would also work hard to make a climate where more small jobs can open.
Rebecca Boenigk (R): We need to make sure that Texas remains a leader in jobs. Even here in the Bryan-College Station area it’s hitting us hard. The results have been delayed because we’re a bit isolated but the results are clear.
John Raney (R): Jobs are the most important. I want to create a positive change. Energy will be the leader in job growth but not all jobs come from energy. We need to keep Texas a place with a good business climate. In order to keep it that way, there needs to be fewer limitations placed by the government. I don’t believe in government picking winners and losers.
Q: What is your position on the budget cuts in education?
Rebecca Boenigk (R): I’m an Aggie mom (to Rachel ’12 and Ryan ’14). I get it. We need to continue the effort to keep University costs as affordable as possible and to make certain that all Texas families have more choices in funding and financing a college career. The future of Texas depends on it.
John Raney (R): I was disappointed at what happened. Education is a key element to Texas growth. A&M is the engine of the local economy. I want to get the most education for the money spent. I also believe that the most responsive government would be local government over the issues of education.
Bob Yancy (R): Texas A&M University is a well-respected institution around the world. I believe we need to fund education so we can retain that reputation. I believe in adequate funding with accountability. Make every hard-earned dollar accountable for where it is being spent.
Joshua Baker (L): It was a huge mistake for the state to cut the budget for education. I feel that the government is overstepping their bounds when it comes to this kind of legislation. I feel that we need to lower administrative costs, consolidate offices. I’m not in favor of increases but significant cuts are wrong. After all education is the backbone of the economy.
Judy LeUnes (D): With all the cuts that were made to education, there is no way that the education that students receive today will be the same as it was when I received my education. It is in the state’s constitution under the 7th Amendment that the state is to provide and fund public education. I believe that politics shouldn’t play a part in the investment of education. This makes me worry about the future of the students.