No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Texas gubernatorial campaigns pick up speed

State Attorney General Greg Abbott, the Republican gubernatorial nominee, and state Sen. Wendy Davis, the Democratic nominee, faced off Tuesday evening in the latest in a series of debates as the race for the governorship heats up.
Gov. Rick Perry, who has held office for more than 13 years, chose not to seek reelection, opening the door for the race between Abbott and Davis.
For the last four years, Republicans have held all statewide elective offices and had supermajority control of both chambers of the Texas Legislature, said political science professor Harvey Tucker.
“Published polls suggest Attorney General Abbott has been ahead and continues to be ahead,” Tucker said. “Abbott will speak to his core supporters as they will be the majority if turnout is low. Davis needs to stimulate higher turnout to win.”
Two distinctive groups of issues facing the candidates and voters appear to be forming, said political science professor Dwight Roblyer.
Roblyer said some Texans more highly value Texas’s economic growth and business-friendly environment while others are focused more on equitability in government activity.
In general, Roblyer said Abbott is trying to place priority on the economy and business while Davis is building her platform on issues such as a fair and livable wage, public education funding, access to medical care and worker safety.
Another issue facing voters in this election is the Texas Voter ID law, which requires voters to show a government-issued photo ID, said Ann Bowman, professor in the Bush School of Government and Public Service. The issue is still being litigated in federal court, which may have an effect on voter turnout.
Tucker said voter turnout is a concern all on its own.
“Turnout in Texas elections in non-presidential years is so low — 25 percent to 35 percent of residents 18 years and older,” Tucker said. “It is easy to identify how each survey respondent intends to vote. It is extremely difficult to predict which survey respondents will vote.”
Over the past decade, Tucker said a new generation of young Texans has become eligible to vote, which has significantly changed the political environment.
“This group holds lower expectations for their own future economic security and greater generosity of spirit toward their fellow Texans,” Tucker said.
It is important for the younger generation, largely composed of students, to be active in the election process, Bowman said.
“Research shows that the interests of those who don’t participate in government through voting and contacting officials are less likely to be represented in public policy than those who do participate,” Bowman said.
Voter registration ends Oct. 6 and early voting will begin Oct. 20.