‘Thanksgiving in the Brazos Valley’ to deliver food to the less fortunate Thanksgiving Day

This Thanksgiving, local community members will work together with A&M Chartwells, Epicures Catering and the Brazos Valley food Bank to provide a holiday meal to those in need.

The 32nd annual “Thanksgiving in the Brazos Valley,” will be held at Duncan Dining Center, home to the largest kitchen in the Brazos Valley area. From 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. volunteers will prepare and deliver traditional Thanksgiving favorites such as turkey, rolls, green bean casserole and cornbread stuffing.

Chartwells, the company A&M works with for dining services, first partnered with Epicures to assist with the event a year ago. In 2014, over 150 people volunteered for the cause, including about 10 A&M students who stayed in town over the holiday. On Thanksgiving morning, over 1,200 meals were delivered to the less fortunate.

“These are people who keep returning year after year for the cause and we have really had some great success with it,” said Marc Cruz, senior executive chef.

Every year there are many volunteers, but Courtney Bryant, Chartwells marketing director said Chartwells hopes to see an increase in numbers this Thanksgiving.

“Since there is no home football game on Thanksgiving Day, it is our hope that more volunteers come out with their families and lend a hand to those less fortunate,” Bryant said. “We are also hoping that more students who remain on campus for the holiday will join us.”

The Brazos Valley Food Bank delivered the food to Duncan for the event Monday, which included 80 turkeys. Additional food will be ordered by the Chartwells team in order to fill all the needs of those who have requested meals. Wednesday and Thursday, culinarians and chefs will begin preparing the food. Volunteers for the event are in charge of cutting turkey, packing food and delivering meals.

“We ask the drivers not only to drop the meals off, but spend time with the people because we don’t know if they live by themselves, or if they have anybody to spend the holiday with,” Cruz said. “We encourage the volunteers to really get into the spirit of it, and extend that extra personal touch.”

Bryant said Chartwells is also introducing a Kid’s Corner for this year’s event, in which children of volunteers will be able to write notes and draw pictures that will be delivered with Thanksgiving meals.

“There is more to this than the meal,” Bryant said. “It is an opportunity to serve our community, and we are thankful to be a part of it. This is such a rewarding experience and we hope that Aggies of all ages will come to support Thanksgiving in the Brazos Valley.”

Bryant said people interested in volunteering can show up between 7:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. People who know of someone in need of a meal can call Epicures Catering at 979-695-0985.