Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Thatcher’s science adviser speaks on global warming

The science adviser to Margaret Thatcher’s administration (1982-1986) said students should not accept all facts that are thrown at them, but should verify them, including the facts that he was proposing.
“He’s certainly offering a different perspective,” said Staci Saldana, a freshman biomedical science major. “Like he said, ‘This is what he believes, and he believes it is not happening, but here’s a way you can look at it. All I want to do is show you the facts and it’s your decision to go check the facts.’ It’s just a matter of coming up with your own opinion on it.”
The Young Conservatives of Texas sponsored Lord Christopher Monckton Tuesday in Rudder Theater to debate and discuss global warming.
“I’m here to talk about this global warming crisis, which is certainly a crisis of government, but it is not a crisis of the planet,” Monckton said. “You would think that when it is as blindingly obvious as it is, that global warming is not any kind of a crisis. Somehow, the political class would catch up with the majority of the people, who now realize that it is a natural practice and not humanity that have ruled the climate.”
Chapter Chairman of the YCT Tony Listi said Monckton brought to light many scientific facts that are not talked about in the mainstream media.
“I think the overall point that he wanted to get across was that we have been lied to by many politicians and bureaucrats, and that we shouldn’t except what people tell us on face value,” Listi said. “We have to exercise our own judgment and critical thinking with regard to policies that could seriously undermine the prosperity of our country.”
Some Aggies went into Monckton’s presentation with opinions about global warming and came out with a different view.
“I’ve had my doubts about global warming before coming in here,” said Philip Pierce, a freshman radiological health engineering major, “but since going here, some of the things that I thought were happening still aren’t. I think instead of outright refuting and saying what to believe and what not to believe, he is trying to give us the information and ask the right questions so you can decide yourself instead of going off of what the next person says.”
Monckton also revealed that he challenged Gore to an open debate on global warming in a location of his choice. He said Gore has not accepted his challenge and has not responded to Monckton.
“It was amazing how knowledgeable he is,” Saldana said. “It’s weird because before this, I was like, ‘I really do believe in climate change,’ and then here, it makes you really question.”