The 46th annual Grammy Awards preview

The time has come again for musicians to strut their stuff in all the red carpet’s glory. But beyond the expected glitz and glam, The 46th Annual Grammy Awards, which will be held Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. at Radio City Hall in New York City, will be an event honoring those who have left their mark on the music industry in the past year.
For those who are expecting an energy packed show, this year will be no exception. According to the Grammy Awards’ official Web site, scheduled performances include Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, the White Stripes, Outkast, George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic, Norah Jones and many more.
Though many tune in for the actual handing out of the awards, others watch for the entertaining antics of their favorite celebrities.
Kristin Wilbourn, a senior American studies major, said although the Grammy Awards is an event that recognizes talent, she thoroughly enjoys the glamour.
“I usually get together with some friends, order pizza and gossip about the show,” Wilbourn said. “I like to watch all the people come down the red carpet to see what designer they are wearing and who their date is.” Pomp and circumstance aside, the Grammy Awards has managed to uphold a prestigious and respectable image throughout the years. For most artists, the Grammy is an accolade that surpasses even their wildest dreams.
Jason Adamo, an independent singer/songwriter based out of New York, is one such artist who appreciates the value of a Grammy.
“It says ‘job well done’ on getting your music out there,” Adamo said. “It would be a great award to receive one day.”
As seen in the past, winning an award means shelling out a memorable acceptance speech. Celebrities have become flustered when the bright lights shine upon them, leading to embarrassing but funny moments. On the other hand, there are those who have their twenty-page acceptance speeches ready to go. From the speechless reactions to the hysterical ones, one can certainly see and feel the importance an award like this carries.
And then there’s that little nuisance called time – winners never seem to have enough of it. There is always someone waiting to cue the orchestra and cut them off. After all, who can forget the 2002 Grammy night when of Alicia Keys began speed-talking just so she could thank every last contributor to her album “Songs in A-Minor?”
Adamo believes the show should allow longer speeches.
“The artists have worked hard to get where they are,” he said. “I hate when they cut the (acceptance) speech short.”
Lack of time is one of many complaints about the Grammy Awards. There is also the issue of how the winners are chosen.
According to the Grammy Awards’ official Web site, recordings and music videos are submitted by Recording Academy members and record companies. The experts then review the entries to make sure they meet all requirements. After the screening process, the members vote on areas within their expertise.
Dan Rose, a junior psychology major, said he prefers to have professionals in the voting process.
“I think it is better that professionals vote because it lends to the credibility of the awards,” Rose said. “There are already enough awards shows out there that allow the fans to vote.”
Although the Grammy is a respected award, there are still those, such as Adamo, who express concern over the fact that fans cannot nominate or vote on whom they deem to be worthy.
“I prefer the award shows voted by fans and peers,” he said.
Another complaint surrounding the hyped annual event is its failure to recognize the lesser-known contributors to entertainment.
Pam Kelly, co-host/producer for Houston’s 94.5 FM”the Buzz’s” “Rod Ryan Show,” said there are some categories that are overshadowed.
“Some music is simply not as popular and the general public doesn’t realize the importance of certain behind-the-scenes roles such as ‘producer,'” Kelly said. “I think the (Grammy Awards has) lost credibility over the years as far as categorizing music, but have gained viewers due to the hype surrounding the ceremony.”
Wilbourn said she also enjoys watching for newcomers in the industry.”I really like to see the performers especially those that aren’t mainstream,” Wilbourn said. “It allows me to be open to different kinds of music.”
Simply put, hype sells. The Grammy Awards are special not only because it showcases performer’s achievements, but also because of the star-studded glamour.
Rose said the Grammy Awards is a good show to tune into to catch some great moments.
“You can always count on something crazy happening,” he said.
Kelly gives a short and sweet answer to why she believes the Grammy Awards will be such a special event: “Musicians, stars and all that glamour.”
The 46th Grammy Awards will air on CBS at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 8.
Click here to visit the official site of the 46th Grammy Awards.
Click here to see videos of the nominated artists.