The Batt asks: Do you think campus is more or less safe because of Campus Carry?

Daniel Lian gave The Batt his opinions on campus carry and how he feels it does make campus safer but may create extreme situations for students. 
Photo by Tim Lai

“Campus would be safer, but with a limit. I think people should be able to carry something but also be knowledgeable about the situation and what to do in it. I wouldn’t carry, and I would prefer to use the things I’ve learned from my teachers and peers about how to deal with dangerous situations, without firearms.”
-Daniel Lian, political science junior
“I’m leaning towards more safe because people would not want to pull out a weapon in public since everyone would have weapons and people would try less acts of random violence. In Texas everyone wants to have a gun to protect themselves and everyone else.”
Konor Barnes, industrial engineering senior

“I would argue that it’s more safe, however any time you bring more weapons, you invite the possibility of people who misuse their privilege to bear arms and just more accidents in general. A mass shooter would be less, but the risk of someone accidentally firing their firearm would increase.”
-Sean Bickham, international studies junior

• Konor Barnes thinks that campus will be a little safer with campus carry enacted. 

Photo by Tim Lai
  • Sean Bickham believes that with campus carry, mass shootings will be less likely, but that accidents may increase. 

Photo by Tim Lai
  • Gov. Gregg Abbott signed ‘campus carry’ into law Saturday

Photo by Wesley Holmes