The Big Event rolls forward in 33rd year with goal of 22,000 student volunteers

Shelby Knowles — THE BATTALION
Big Event staff members hold a banner outside the MSC.
Shelby Knowles — THE BATTALION Big Event staff members hold a banner outside the MSC.

Thirty-three years after its founding, more than 20,000 Texas A&M students continue a former student’s vision of serving the community.
In 1982, Joe Nussbaum, vice president of the Student Government Association, assembled fellow students to serve and give back to Bryan-College Station. In 2015, the Big Event expects to continue this tradition with even greater numbers, as the organization recruits ever-larger numbers of students.
With student signups closing at 6 p.m. Friday, the Big Event executive board expects a turnout of 22,000 students serving 2,300 residents in Bryan and College Station this year.
“We are hoping to have 2,500 residents register and for us to be able to serve at least 2,300 of them,” said Laura Bassel, English senior and Big Event recruitment executive.
Robert Killion, Big Event outreach executive, said there has been a steady increase in the number of participants from year to year. Killion said last year’s service event registered more than 20,000 students, and the Big Event hopes to continue its growth.
Bassel, however, said she stressed the importance of continuing selfless service to the community over the sheer mass of students participating.
“As it does grow, it is exciting to get wrapped up in the numbers and the whole presentation of it, but when it comes down to it, that’s not what makes the Big Event a success,” Bassel said. “What makes the Big Event a success is being able to thank the residents of Bryan and College Station who make up the community that we get to call home for however brief of time.”
The Big Event has become a steadfast tradition, deeply rooted in the core value of service, Bassel said. She said while the surrounding community is thankful for the work the students provide, serving as part of the Big Event empowers and humbles students.
“From the outside, four hours on a Saturday does seem simple, but it goes so much farther than we think,” Bassel said.
Kevin Brooks, management senior and Big Event director, said the organization’s mission has remained the same since its small start decades ago.
“It’s meant as a way to say thank you — that’s what it has remained for the past 33 years,“ Brooks said.
Bassel said modern technology has changed how the Big Event reaches out to the community and connects to students.
“Obviously, technology has allowed us to spread and allowed residents more chances to sign up by using the online system rather than always having to use mail,” Bassel said. “It has allowed us to reach students who we don’t normally cross paths with as far as us in the organization.”