The break in brief: What you might have missed during the holidays

Net+Neutrality
Net Neutrality

As 2017 came to a close and 2018 began, many events made headlines all over the world.  National news, Fightin’ Texas Aggie football and Hollywood hits kept the winter break busy. Here are the stories you should know.

News

1.The FCC repeals net neutrality
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted to repeal net neutrality on Dec. 14, 2017. The change will allow broadband providers to discriminate between different kinds of data and charge for priority access to certain websites. While this vote will take weeks to make a difference in people’s everyday lives, the FCC was immediately countered with pushback and various organizations planning to file lawsuits.
2. U.S. and North Korea tensions rise
Tensions have escalated between the United States and North Korea, as Kim Jong Un doubles down on efforts to develop his nuclear arsenal. Early into the new year, the North Korean leader became the target of further public response from U.S. President Donald Trump, whose Jan. 2 tweet described a “much bigger and more powerful” nuclear button on his desk, which sparked a wave of criticism and online jokes of the president’s approach to the issue.
3. GOP passes tax reform
The Republican party’s sweeping tax reform bill was passed Dec. 18 after a lengthy period of negotiation and revision. Major cuts to the corporate tax rate and temporary lowering of individual tax rates were hailed by top Republicans as a victory for the U.S. economy, while Democratic leaders criticized the bill of catering to the wealthy while increasing the federal debt.
Sports
1. A&M goes 7-6 overall following Belk Bowl loss
The Aggies fell to Wake Forest 55-52 during the Belk Bowl on Dec. 29 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Led by interim head coach Jeff Banks, A&M saw stand out performances from redshirt freshman quarterback Nick Starkel and junior receiver Christian Kirk, who finished the game despite an apparent leg injury in the third quarter. In the end, it wasn’t enough to nail down the win, as Wake Forest plowed through the A&M defense for a final total of 646 yards.  
2. A dramatic end to the college football season
When SEC west rival Alabama trailed Georgia to start the second half of the College Football National Championship game, Bama head coach Nick Saban made the decision to bench his starter Jalen Hurts for true freshman Tau Tagovailoa. In overtime, down by three points, Tagovailoa found DeVonta Smith for the 41-yard walk-off touchdown to beat Georgia 26-23, giving Saban his sixth national championship, tying A&M and Alabama legendary coach Bear Bryant.
Life & Arts
1. New movies making a splash
In the political thriller “The Post,” Katharine Graham (Meryl Streep) and Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks) work together to expose the shocking Pentagon Papers. The movie sheds light on the journalists who risked everything to uncover the truth.

“The Greatest Showman” is a star-studded musical that loosely tells the story of P.T. Barnum’s circus of “freaks.” The voices of Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and Zendaya appear throughout the movie, resulting in a spectacular soundtrack.
2. Stars speak out at Golden Globes

Time’s up. That’s what Hollywood’s hottest stars were saying at this year’s Golden Globes event dressed in black attire and demanding equality. Oprah stole the night when she became the first black woman to win the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award and made an uplifting speech to the oppressed women who have been silenced by powerful abusers. As fans reacted, “#Oprah2020” quickly began trending on Twitter.
3. Music Aggies should be streaming
After months of musical silence, Troye Sivan dropped a new single, “My My My!” The dance-pop song is upbeat and gives off serious ‘90s vibes.

In her self-titled debut album as a solo artist, Camila Cabello provides a mix of confessional piano ballads and Latin-inspired pop beats.

In another ‘90s-inspired single, Cardi B joined forces with Bruno Mars for a remix of his 2016 song, “Finesse.”