The First Ladies of Aggieland

Photo by FILE

During the first pass of Final Review, Reveille VIII marched in with her handler for the last time. Her successor, Reveille IX stepped into the mascot roll and stepped off with the cadets for the second pass of Final Review.

Reveille VIII will be laid to rest beside her predecessors at the north end of Kyle Field Thursday morning, facing a personal scoreboard where the former mascots can always watch their Aggies win.
The original Miss Rev first came to campus in January 1931. As the story goes, a group of cadets hit the small, black and white dog while driving and brought her to their dorm to take care of her. Though the cadets kept her hidden due to the school’s no-pet policy, the dog gained her name the next morning by barking during the buglers’ rendition of “Reveille.” She became Texas A&M’s official mascot the next year during football season.
Reveille I died in 1944 and received a formal military funeral. Eight years later, she was followed by Reveille II, a Shetland Sheepdog. It wasn’t until 1966 that Reveille III became the first Rough Collie to serve as A&M’s mascot, setting a trend that still continues today.
Reveille is considered first lady of Aggieland and the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets, signified by the five silver diamonds she’s often seen wearing. The Corps Commander wears only four.
While Reveille was initially allowed to roam free, this changed in 1960. Reveille can now be seen around campus with the Mascot Corporal, a position selected from a group of sophomore cadets in Company E-2. The Mascot Corporal and first lady live and attend class with each other.
The funeral service for Reveille VIII will begin Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. at The Zone Plaza at Kyle Field.
For more information and photos of Reveille through the years, visit reveille.tamu.edu.