Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Cernousek captures individual national title as Aggies advance to NCAA quarterfinals

It didn’t take long for Texas A&M athletics to add another accolade to its trophy case. Just a day after the Aggies’ women’s tennis...

The King’ comes to A&M with new Cushing display

Photo by Danielle Docherty

Hannah Shaw, recreation park and tourism sciences senior, is a life-long Elvis fan.

Elvis Presley may have left the building in 1977, but he’ll be remembered by Aggies with an Elvis memorabilia exhibit.
The Cushing Memorial Library will kick off the grand opening of the exhibit, “The King: Celebrating the Sara H. Lindsey Collection of Elvis Memorabilia,” with a reception Friday.
Kevin O’Sullivan, outreach and public services curator of Cushing Library, said Sara Lindsey, by whom the collection was put together, and her husband John Lindsey, Class of 1944, have had a long, relationship with the University.
“In addition to their philanthropy, Mrs. Lindsey is an Elvis fan and has, over the years, amassed a collection of Elvis memorabilia which we now house here,” O’Sullivan said. “In deference to our relationship, and celebrating her and this collection, we decided to put on an exhibit showcase.”
Some significant items that will be on display at the exhibit include a handkerchief owned by Elvis and a famous ring of his known as the Volcano Ring, which he wore at his famous “Aloha from Hawaii” international satellite broadcast concert in 1973, O’Sullivan said.
Adele Hedleston, development manager of the University Libraries, said the Lindseys have an enduring relationship with the university libraries.
“Their lives and contributions are interwoven with the history of A&M, particularly the second half of the twentieth century through the present,” Hedleston said.
With the exception of one piece on loan, the entirety of the collection are the Lindseys’ generous contributions, O’Sullivan said. The collection will be on display until Dec. 12, when it will be returned to the archives.
Hannah Shaw, recreation, park and tourism sciences senior and Elvis fan, said she looks forward to the opening ceremony of the exhibit, as it will bring back memories from her childhood.
“I grew up listening to Elvis records with my family year-round,” Shaw said. “I remember as a little girl singing and dancing to ‘Blue Suede Shoes’ and wishing I had a pair on my feet to dance in.”
Shaw’s great uncle, Eddie Fadal, was the owner of the Elvis Presley Museum in Waco, Texas.
“Uncle Eddie was a disc jockey at a radio station in Dallas when he met Elvis who was there promoting his records,” Shaw said. “They became best friends instantly.”
Shaw said Fadal went on tour with Elvis a few times, and when Elvis was drafted into the army, stationed in Fort Hood, he would stay with Fadal on weekends and days off.
“I obviously never knew Elvis, but the love that my uncle and the rest of my family have for him and his music has been instilled in me since I was a kid,” Shaw said. “I am excited for the opening of the exhibit at Cushing so that I will have a reminder of family and childhood memories here on campus.”
The opening ceremony at 2 p.m. Friday at Cushing Library will include remarks by Kim Kattari, assistant professor in the department of performance studies, and a performance by an Elvis tribute artist. It is open to the public and free to attend.