The Real World

MTV has targeted the Texas A&M College Republicans for its casting of the 17th season of “The Real World,” which will be aired in 2006.
Representatives from MTV contacted Jason Fite, College Republicans public relations officer, and provided the group with VIP passes to try out for the show at the open casting call in Houston on Saturday.
“They said they want to cut out the party animals and have people that are more politically inclined,” said Fite, a freshman history and political science major. “I personally don’t watch the show, but knowing what I know of reality shows, I think it would definitely be a good change.”
Seven people will be selected from tens of thousands nation wide for the show. The participants will live together for five months, and the show will document how they get along (or don’t) with each other. The latest season of “The Real World” was filmed in Philadelphia.
Jonathan Murray, executive producer of “The Real World,” said that the show looks for real life characters or people with strong personalities who are not afraid to speak their minds.
Kelli Use, a sophomore political science major and College Republicans vice chair of activities committee, said she will be trying out for the show, and although she is excited about the tryouts, she doesn’t think she will be picked because she is more open-minded than what she thinks MTV is looking for.
“Honestly, I think they’re picking conservative students to try to exploit on national TV,” Use said. “Someone like me would probably not be picked because I know both sides, and I think they are looking for someone who doesn’t.”
Use said she thinks MTV wants someone who will be politically charged but also fun and social.
“No one wants to watch ‘The Real World – The C-Span Years,'” Use said.
David O’Connell, a junior political science major and College Republicans member, said he will be trying out as well, and if picked, he will be prepared to argue his conservative views on TV.
“They’d be picking someone to create conflict in their house,” O’Connell said. “They would certainly get that with me.”
Steve Pleadwell, assistant casting coordinator of “The Real World,” said Houston is a large city with diverse people, which is exactly what the show needs. Pleadwell also said college students should not be afraid of coming to Houston to meet the recruiters of the show.
“There is not a specific thing (we expect) an applicant must have. We want to see people who just want to be themselves, and who aren’t necessarily shy because they will be at the front of a camera,” Pleadwell said.
Alissa Haight, casting director of Bunim/ Murray Production, said she expects a big turnout at the casting call in Houston, since Houston is surrounded by big universities such as Texas A&M.
“We know Texas A&M is a big university. I expect 500 to 1,000 Aggies will be at our casting call,” Haight said.
O’Connell said he hopes to get the opportunity to represent A&M on national TV.
“I’d wear a maroon shirt or A&M sweatshirt at every opportunity,” O’Connell said. “I’m an Aggie first.”