The soundtracks of Aggieland

Photo by Photo by Kevin Chou

Students can now listen to various Spotify playlists, such as Rainy Day on Campus or Tailgates.

Aggies now have the option to tune in to playlists that aim to capture their time at Texas A&M.

On Oct. 9, A&M’s marketing and communications department launched the university’s new Spotify account with five playlists. 

Featuring 30 to 50 songs each, the playlists incorporate a different mood or genre. A&M currently has seven playlists that include a variety of topics, including Rainy Days on Campus and Fightin Texas Aggie Band.

The playlists are intended to align with students’ lives, according to Nick Wilson, social media coordinator for A&M. Spotify was chosen as a platform because of its popularity among the student body.

“We believe social media should be fun and engaging,” Wilson said. “If you ask any student whether they care about music, you’ll find that most of them really do. We wanted to create soundtracks for unique experiences that students have on campus.”

Wilson said Aggies have responded positively to the playlists and seem to be excited about the new account. Followers will see many new playlists in the future and can expect them to reflect their experiences on campus.

“We’re currently working on a study playlist, since college is all about studying,” Wilson said. “We want to create something that will get students in the zone to study, keep up their 4.0 and move forward.”

Followers can also look forward to collaborative playlists that have multiple contributors. Wilson said individual departments and colleges would be great partners for this project.

“The most recent collaboration we did was with Aggiebound, when we created the Aggieland Happy Dance playlist,” Wilson said. “Whenever [applicants] get the banner that says ‘You’re an Aggie,’ this is the music they can listen and do their happy dance to. It’s their first moment being an Aggie, and we want them to be excited and celebrate. I think our Spotify playlist is a good place for that.”

Thomas Eldridge, international studies freshman, said he is excited about the playlists because music is extremely important to him and even helped him decide to attend A&M.

“‘Power’ by Kanye West has taken on a new meaning for me,” Eldridge said.  “Last year, when I was still trying to choose a college, I saw an awesome video on Twitter of everyone on Kyle Field singing the football intro. That short video honestly made me realize how amazing this place is.”

Dylan Gonzalez, agriculture business freshman, said he likes the new playlists because he can relate to the songs. He said music is a critical part of his life and listening to it helps him relax.

“Music certainly helps me get through the day,” Gonzalez said. “I wake up and listen to music while I get ready, while I’m in my car and even between classes. It’s my outlet. These playlists do what music does best — they allow you to listen.”

Ultimately, according to Wilson, the marketing and communications department wants Aggies to enjoy the Spotify account and use it to enhance their time at A&M.

“We just try to keep social media fun and make each Aggie’s experience at Texas A&M as rewarding, fun and unique as possible,” Wilson said. “This is just another tool to do that.”