Then there were five: Rev search homes in

The list of potential Reveille IX candidates has been narrowed down to five and will likely be whittled down even further when the 12-member selection committee meets Friday morning.
Tom Reber, interim vice president for student affairs and chair of the Reveille IX search committee, said two dogs from Houston are among the five, as well as three others from Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota. Reber said if all goes well, Friday’s meeting will consist of further progression in finding the perfect applicant.
“The committee has scored each of the dogs and ranked them one through five,” Reber said. “We’ll share that information and begin to see if there are any dogs we have to eliminate.”
While Reveille VII and VIII have both been from out of state, it is possible that the next “Miss Rev” will come from a local collie rescue in Houston.
Vickey Willard, president of Houston Collie Rescue Inc., said she submitted several photos of prospective collies to the committee and was informed that two of them are still in the running. Willard said the chance of one of the two dogs being selected as Reveille IX is exciting.
“It’d be great simply because we love the breed, and it would be even more awesome for everyone in Houston that loves the college [Texas A&M],” Willard said. “It would mean the world to us to see a rescue dog out there.”
Along with reviewing the dogs’ overall appearance and personality characteristics Friday, the search committee will discuss how to take the next step of meeting and interacting with the finalists.
Veterinarians from the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences will also nsure that the next Reveille meets proper health conditions by checking the five current candidates.
“If any mascots arrive at the top we’ll decide whether to bring them here or go visit them,” Reber said. “A lot of these dogs are breeder and show dogs too. We not only have to work around the dog’s schedule but their family’s schedule as well.”
Willard said the two dogs chosen from the Houston Collie Rescue are both long-haired collies, similar in appearance to that of Reveille VIII, but seem to be more timid.
“The two dogs are gorgeous and both are very nice and super sweet,” Willard said. “They love people and other animals, but they are a little more shy.”
Alexandra Gonzalez, Traditions Council chairman and search committee member, said the selection has been a lengthy process accompanied by much anxiety.
“I’m thrilled,” Gonzalez said. “Just the fact that we’ve narrowed it down to a few applicants and hopefully further [Friday], it just means we’re that much closer. It all comes down to which can adjust to the lifestyle of being a super busy dog.”