Tour takes stand against discrimination

Racism, sexism, religious intolerance, homophobia – students lined up to express their distaste for discrimination and more as a part of USA Network’s bus tour, titled “I Won’t Stand For…”.
The tour made its fifth stop on its nationwide tour Monday at the Zone at Kyle Field. Gina Stefani, USA Network’s tour producer, said the goal of the tour is to spread the word against discrimination.
As a part of the tour, people passing by were given free shirts with the words “I won’t stand for” that were stamped with their chosen “injustice term.” Participants also had their photos taken, which were distributed across social media.
Texas A&M is the first college campus stop on the nationwide tour.
Marcus Bell, who is involved with the tour, said personal experiences prompted him to join this program.
“It’s a movement I care very deeply about,” Bell said. “It’s something that needs to change in our culture. The younger generation creates the next government so the laws that will be passed in the future will be based on the people of this campus.”
Stefani said the tour is under the umbrella of USA Network’s Characters Unite service campaign.
“Giving the people the opportunity to voice their opinion on injustices they wont stand for and if we didn’t visit a certain college campus,” Stefani said. “Everyone is welcomed to go onto the Characters Unite website and upload a photo and choose an injustice they wont stand for.”
Kelly Gay, junior allied health major, said she thinks the program is good for students.
“I think it’s a good aspect, considering Aggies are very supportive of each other,” Gay said. “I think its good that Texas A&M has brought something like this to show the support for all kinds of different groups.”