Tournament Wrap-Up

800 miles, 5,885 words, 11 games, and 18 stories later, we’re packing up to leave. The KU/UT game was phenomenal, and the overtime was nerve-wracking. I was pulling for KU to win it, but I appreciate a good game more than a win for the team I’m rooting for. After going through all of this, I completely agree with what Bill Self said after the final game.
“To be honest with you, I’m pretty worn out right now,” Self said. “I really am not that fired up right now (over getting a 1 seed). I will be, but I’m worn out. I’m tired. I think our players are too.”
I couldn’t have said it better myself. I can totally relate with Bob Knight when he said the conference tournaments can put teams at a disadvantage, I’m tired, and I didn’t even play a minute of basketball.
Everyone knows Kevin Durant is a beast, but let me just say it again. Durant is a freak of nature. Every time he touches the ball, you expect him to score, and when he does actually miss, it’s like an unbelievable event judging from the crowd’s reaction.
Being 10 feet from some of the top talent in the country for four days was a very surreal experience. You really don’t know how athletic and awesome these guys really are until you are close enough to hear every word they’re saying. A lot of players’ game looks ten times better up close. Cartier Martin would probably be getting some NBA Draft talk if he were on a team with some marquee wins. Richard Roby is the only reason Colorado was able to win their conference games and he should be at least looked at by the scouts.
We watched the selection show and found out our Aggies got a 3 seed in New Orleans, so losing to OSU turned out not to be such a bad thing. We’re heading back to good old College Station soon, and Brent is saying that he seriously can’t wait to be on the road for a few hours. I can’t say I agree with him.