Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Toy drive allows students to interact with kids in the community

Business student organizations took their annual toy drive to the next level by delivering gifts to students in the community.
Business Student Council, BSC, partnered with six business groups to fund and organize a holiday toy drive at Bryan ISD’s Crockett Elementary School, purchasing toys and games, wrapping presents and distributing them to the children in need. Approximately 70 students participated in the drive.
Elise York, accounting junior and vice president of BSC’s charity committee, Project Mays, said the children that received the presents were identified as high need by Bryan ISD.
“These kids are often without a stable home,” York said. “Either they move around a lot or are staying with a number of families in a one-bedroom home.”
BSC members visited with students at Crockett Elementary School on Friday to decorate the library with holiday cheer and provide snacks and drinks for the kids and their teachers. Some students even dressed up as popular holiday characters, such as Santa Claus and elves. Later that afternoon, the library was buzzing with animated children as they eagerly unwrapped their much awaited presents.
After the event, Patrick Barden, accounting sophomore and BSC member, said seeing a smile on the kids’ faces was well worth all the preparation and hard work.
“Teams of us were assigned an individual kid and told what they would like for Christmas,” Barden said. “Me and couple other guys got the rewarding experience of sitting down with our kid and being able to see his reaction after opening the presents we bought him.”
Hannah McDuffee, supply chain management sophomore and member of Christian Business Leaders, was among those participating in the toy drive.
“BSC gave us money and told us to pick up gifts with our assigned kid in mind,” McDuffee said. “We bought gifts from places like Target or Walmart while considering the kid’s age, gender and what kind of presents they would be interested in.”
For Jared Morrow, accounting senior and BSC president, the toy drive was not only a great way to give back to the community, but also a unique opportunity for business students and organizations to work together and make an impact.
“We want to use the resources we’ve been given and leverage those for others,” Morrow said. “But seeing the joy on the kids’ faces is ultimately why we do it.”
Due to this year’s success, BCS plans on continuing the toy drive next holiday season.

•