Tribune festival sparks higher-ed discussion

Out of all of the universities in Texas, the Texas Tribune will partner with Texas A&M to present a day-long symposium Thursday, examining the major issues regarding higher education in Texas.
The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit digital news organization focusing on public policy and special news events on Texas public policy, welcomes notable speakers on Thursday such as Texas A&M System Chancellor John Sharp, University President R. Bowen Loftin, House Committee on Higher Education Chair Dan Branch, Senate Committee on Higher Education Chair Kel Seliger and Texas Higher Education Commissioner Raymund Paredes.
Evan Smith, the CEO and editor-in-chief of the Texas Tribune, said he is looking forward to pairing with A&M.
We were looking for a good partner to do this with, Smith said. We could have done it at any university in the state, but we love the A&M guys and are always pleased to come to the campus.
Smith said he hopes the symposium will stimulate discussion on higher education, and that he wants attendees to be able to leave more informed than when they came.
After a complimentary lunch at noon, Smith will discuss with Sharp and Loftin the role that Texas A&M and the Aggie brand play amid the current developments in higher education.
The Texas Tribune also hosts single day events through partnerships with universities across Texas, most recently at Texas State University and the University of Houston all to foster discussion and understanding of important public policy issues in Texas.
The symposium will take place in the Annenberg Presidential Center at the Bush School from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets are free of charge, but seats must be reserved.