Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Tropical storm Bill likely to make Texas landfall

Monday night update:

The tropical disturbance that surfaced in the western Gulf of Mexico has been upgraded to Tropical Storm Bill by the National Weather Service’s National Hurricane Center, and will most likely make a landfall on the Texas coast Tuesday.

The storm, which now has sustained winds measured at 50 mph and gusts up to 65 mph, is expected to reach the Texas coast within the next 12-24 hours and could bring up to a foot of rain with it.  

According to earlier NWS reports from Monday afternoon, the storm will continue to strengthen as it approaches the coast.

“[The storm’s] thunderstorm activity continues to become better organized this afternoon, and the low will very likely [strengthen] this afternoon or this evening as it continues moving to the northwest,” the report said.

The report goes on to say that the storm is not as strong as some that have hit the Texas coast in the past, it will pack a punch upon landfall.

Those in southeast Texas and the Bryan-College Station area can expect the storm to bring more of what they’ve become used to this spring — lots of rain.

“The system is likely to bring heavy rainfall with possible flooding across portions of eastern Texas and western Louisiana,” the report said.

Projections have shifted from the originally forecasted Galveston landfall to one closer to Matagorda Bay, which could bring the storm right over Aggieland later in the day. A flash flood watch has been issued for the majority of the Brazos Valley in preparation, and will expire Wednesday afternoon.