Typical Brazilian dish makes for flavorful, unique side

I attempted to cook Brazilian food this weekend. I made rice and beans. The recipe I used seemed pretty straightforward, and while in Brazil, the rice and beans was my favorite part of every meal. The rice turned out well, but after six hours, I gave up on the beans.
The recipe I found instructed me to leave the lid off the pot for the entire time. It also said they would be ready to eat after only three hours of cooking. Since this was my first experience cooking any type of bean, I Na’vely did exactly what it told me to.
Brazilian people, in general, are friendly. I heard a story about a man who was mugged, and though his car was stolen, the mugger left him enough money to buy himself a beer. My trip was truly life-changing, and I strongly encourage everyone to visit if given the opportunity.
The best meal we ate in Brazil was in a slum at a restaurant called Pensao da Chupetinha, which means “pacifier” in English. We were in a large group and did not call ahead, but the owner of the tiny restaurant welcomed us in with a huge smile on her face. She was a hilarious and hospitable woman who kept a pacifier in her mouth. The people in the slum were all so kind. That part of the trip makes me truly appreciate what I have.
A typical Brazilian meal is served family style, where everyone at the table shares a few large dishes. There is usually an appetizer of something fried, lots of meat or seafood and, of course, rice and beans.
For the appetizer, Brazilians often eat what is called a pastel. It is a square or triangle pocket filled with beef, chicken, shrimp or cheese that has been deep-fried.
If you’ve ever eaten at Fogo de Ch??o, you know I spent my spring break eating like a queen. Brazilian meat is delicious. It is always flavorful and juicy. They eat pretty much the same things we eat: beef, pork and chicken. The only thing weird I ate during my trip was a chicken heart. It tasted like blood.
Brazilian rice and beans aren’t like the Mexican rice and beans we are used to. They use black beans and white rice, and usually they are mixed together. I have yet to find an authentic recipe, but until then, you can try this one.
1 lb. pinto or black beans1 chopped onion1 chopped green pepper1 lb. browned sausage1 (6 oz.) can tomato pasteGarlic powder to tasteCooked rice
Soak beans overnight. Drain the beans after they have been soaked. Cover with water, add onion, green pepper, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook until beans are soft. Add water if necessary. When beans are cooked make sure there is enough water to just cover them. Add the tomato paste and sausage. Cook an additional 15-20 minutes until the meat is cooked. If the beans are too watery, crush some to thicken. Serve over cooked rice. Top with molho sauce.