United States’ human rights record just as questionable as nations like Libya

In response to Jerad Najvar’s March 6 column:
It is with great pride that I reflect on those Aggies who have appropriately taken it upon themselves to lead support for the United States war effort.
Jerad Najvar is correct, Washington did warn against permanent alliances. Of course, such a warning was premised upon the need to avoid war, as Washington was quite wary of the conflicts that had constantly faced Europe in the latter 18th century, but taken out of context, it makes a strong case for U.S. detachment from the need for international consensus.
How indeed can the United States participate in an organization where Libya and Syria are guardians of global human rights? Mr. Najvar correctly cites the Human Rights watch criticism of these regimes, although he also fails to mention that the same organization has often criticized the U.S. criminal justice system. In particular, it’s continued emphasis on executions, which places it in the company of other esteemed nations like Libya and Syria.
In any event, such similarities can be easily dismissed because of their inconsistency with the strong argument in favor of war.
Nicolas Rangel Jr.
Lecturer/graduate student
Texas A&M Department of Communication