University seeks Loftin’s replacement

Student Body President Reid Joseph said Monday that a committee is already being formed to find a new president for Texas A&M once current President R. Bowen Loftin steps down in January.
The committee will begin looking for a candidate that encompasses the six core values of Texas A&M.
“There is going to be a search committee formed and President Loftin did mention that students would have an input,” Joseph said. “I’m going to make sure of that. The committee will present to Board of Regents, who will have final say.”
Joseph said there is no time frame for the hiring of the next president and said he “would not be surprised at all” if there is no decision by January.
“It may very well be that we may have an interim as we continue to try and name a president,” Joseph said. “That’s purely speculation, it will be a thorough and thought out process.”
Joseph said he was notified of Loftin’s resignation Thursday when he was prompted to attend a meeting Friday where Loftin announced his plans before the news broke.
After he steps down, Loftin will remain at A&M as a tenured professor in the Department of Industrial Systems Engineering.