University technically established 1862

I admire Mr. Santamaria’s passion for history, especially the history of this fine University. I wish all students shared this noble trait. Unfortunately, his information is incomplete. Texas A&M was technically founded when the Morrill Act (aka the “Land Grant College Act”) passed U.S. Congress in 1862. This time in our country was one of great division and strife. Much of what Congress passed was ignored in the South until after the Civil War. As Mr. Santamaria stated, the Texas legislature (led by many fine legislators, including Mr. Gaines) affirmed the basic tenants of the Morrill Act in 1871, and passed a resolution establishing a public university of Texas (way before t.u. was even a twinkling in someone’s eye). The first classes, however, were held Oct. 4, 1876, when approximately 40 students and 10 faculty members met near where the Academic Building stands today (in Old Main, which later burned down). Because the first classes were held in 1876, most cite this year as when the University was “established.” It would be nice if more students were interested in these issues. If anyone has questions about the early years or traditions of Texas A&M, I invite them to ask the nearest Corps member – they should know.
Benjamin Mokry Class of 2004